Friday, October 22, 2010

Got to the viewing for Jerry S. at Absecon by about 10:30. It was held--oddly, I thought--in a small room adjacent to the main church. As there were a lot of people there, it was crowded; would have been better in the church proper, where the mass was held after. I didn't stay for that.
Casket was closed, but there were three picture on it: One of Jerry as a boy of about 13, the other probably taken a few years ago before he got sick. I was charmed when I saw the third one: It was of a group of Ventnor boys, and included my husband, Pat, and my brother, Frank, at ages, I estimated, to be about 12 and 9. I also recognized Jack B. and Matt G. Wish I had had a chance to see it more closely, to know if my brother, Larry, was there, too. Will call Nan when I get back from Florida to ask if I can make a copy. I gave Jerry's daughter copies of three pictures taken at my long-ago wedding reception. They show a group of guys who were there, including Jerry and brother Larry, all impossibly young and now, many gone where Jerry is --sigh.
Drove home only to head out again in the same direction a half hour later, after picking up Leslie. We went to the jewelery and sock shop and had a ball examining the stuff. Les didn't buy anything and I got only an inexpensive pair of earrings; not sure, but owner Debbie may have been a bit sniffy about that.
We then went to Shore Diner, several cuts above run-of-the-mill diners and had lunch. I splurged with meatball parm on a roll and a cold Bud. After that, and a lot of good talk, we went to the cemetery for a quick stop. Les suggested and I enthusiastically agreed, that we go on similar excursions every month. Will call her to set a time for November when I get back from Florida.
Dropped Les off and drove up to Manahawkin to pick up my so-scared-to-fly-I-want-to-die medication, commonly known as Ativan.
Put in the other DVD I borrowed, The Soloist, and watched half. Nice story, but for some reason, I didn't feel like watching, so stopped after a half hour or so.
Yoicks, I leave tomorrow! Must turn my attention to that and finish packing.

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...