Thursday, October 21, 2010

Dreary, dark, dull, draggy day. Went to the doctor for BP (it's okay) and a flu shot, ran some errands in Manahawkin, then didn't do a whole heck of a lot. Got The Bourne Identity--yes, the original--from the library and watched it, as I have several times before. Still couldn't quite follow some of the story line, but with Matt Damon to look at, who cares?
Today will be livelier; going to a funeral at 10:00, then taking Leslie to the jewelry/sock store and to lunch.
Guess I'd better start turning my attention to my trip--I leave the day after tomorrow and haven't even thought about it at this point.
WIDER: Here's the start of Jeff Huber's "Don't Ask, Don't Care" essay on Anti-War.com:
"The righteous are wailing like zombies from sea to shining sea over the recent federal court decisions striking down the cockamamie "Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell" law that allows homosexuals to join the military but forbids them from being homosexuals. An exemplar of this sanctimonious outrage is Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, a conservative Christian advocacy group. According to his official biography, 'Tony has a tremendous burden to reclaim the culture for Christ.'"
Yes, I'm truly puzzled at the horrified alarm directed at gays--or, for that matter, any other people who deviate an iota from approved "Christian values," which incidentally, include plenty of niceties such as bombing the bejesus--sorry--out of foreigners. Fer cryin' out loud, how does this threaten the sanctity of marriage? First of all, it's questionable how sacred it is to begin with, considering the divorce rate and second, seems to me marriage is a combination of sheer animal need (sex and all that, you know) and the unholy alliance between the state and religion. Yes, yes, I was married for many years and yes, yes, I benefited in many ways, most prominently with the sheer delight of my children, but no, no, I see no reason why my gay neighbors shouldn't do the same.
But I guess the preachers and the nay-sayers think differently. They have a right to follow their beliefs, but not to impose them on others. And that, it seems to me, is the simple bottom line that seems never to be recognized by these soldiers of the lord.
Here's the link:
http://original.antiwar.com/huber/2010/10/20/dont-ask-dont-care/

1 comment:

Pat said...

I couldn't agree more.
I have been pleased (even though many people are appalled) to see so many gay characters in present day sit coms. They live normal everyday lives in the shows and hopefully viewers will think 'they are just like me'. Isn't it interesting how many anti gay people turn out to be gay themselves?

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...