Sunday, October 17, 2010

It was a perfect day for pumpkin picking! Sky was crystal-clear blue, sun was shining brightly, and there was an autumn nip in the air. Got to J. and N.'s at noon and we left for lunch shortly thereafter. Ate at a little Italian place--so Italian the "waiter," to use the term loosely, didn't exactly speak English and there was a lot of miscommunication. I ordered pasta and he asked if I wanted a fork. When I indicated that might be easier than eating it with my fingers, he obliged--and brought knives, forks, and spoons for the boys, who had pizza. But no matter, it was great fun.
We then repaired to DeWolfe Farm, rode the hay wagon--tricked out to look like a steam engine--to the fields and the kids had a ball running around picking up pumpkins. The rule was they could each get one, but they had to be able to lift it and put it in the small wagon, provided by the farm. The two little ones rode in the wagon, J. pulling, but kept popping out to go after an bigger pumpkin. The place had a corn maze, which we didn't try (it was an extra five bucks each) and a children's maze constructed with hay bales, which the boys loved. They also played on a fire engine, ran around like crazy, and were their usual wonderfully alive and exuberant selves. It's such a pleasure to be with them--I had a wonderful day.
NOTE: Just as I was finishing this, I had a welcome interruption--P. calling on Skype from Tokyo. Loved seeing N.'s latest paintings and seeing her, for that matter. It's hard being so far from my sons and younger daughter, but being able to see them as we talk brings them so much closer. I love the web cam.

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...