Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Oh, Lord, we've had multiple murder in our quiet little town. Ellen V. and I had just sat down for lunch in Applebee's when my cell ran and I was told there had been a shooting and the gunman was on the loose. This occurred at the townhouse behind my house on the other side of the woods. At that point, it was believed he also had robbed the bank--I had been there fifteen minutes before--but that turned out to be untrue. The schools were "in lock down," as it was repeated on television--very misleading, as they're always locked. Actually, the school buses were just delayed for a time.
I called Susan, who was home, but hadn't known of the incident. She contacted the K.'s down the street, who told her they had seen the police with drawn weapons at G.'s house, four doors down from me. In a half hour or so, I called the police station and was told it was an "on-going situation" and the gunman had not yet been apprehended. I called to warn the D.'s, who were on their way home from North Carolina. Frank said they had already heard on the Philadelphia radio. I also called the R.'s, who were aware and staying in.
I decided to stay out. After an almost three-hour lunch (we always have a lot to talk about), Ellen and I said goodbye and I went to Kohl's. Got a call from brother Larry in Florida; thought he had heard of the shooting, but he was calling for something else.
In Kohl's, I heard the gunman had taken his own life. Checked with some people and found it was true, so went home. Had a message on the machine from Jack B. and a call from sister Betty. This morning's A.C. Press has banner headlines about the tragedy: A man killed his brother and a neighbor, then himself. Haven't read it yet, so I don't know why.
I stopped at the video store on my way home and got Revolutionary Road and Single Man. Watched the former, which was utterly pointless and stupid.
The local murders/suicide seem utterly pointless and stupid, too. However, in some twisted way, they must have seemed right to the murderer when the dark forces told him to pick up the gun and shoot.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

So sad that the girl who went to help got killed herself. Senseless...I suspect the shooter was someone who had gone off of his meds. Not sure the press will give more details.

BTW, RU watching the final season of LWBP? I've dvr'd it.

Mimi said...

Why, sure I'm still watching LPBW. Didn't I grow up with those kids? (Oh, I forgot, I never actually did grow up.) Anyway, I'm sticking with it to the bitter end. Hope Jer and Zack quit being such idle parasites and DO something.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...