Saturday, April 10, 2010

Not a whole lot going on, and it rained. I finished An Execution In The Family about the Rosenberg family. I'm excited about the fact that I'm going to meet the author tomorrow.
A scary note: I always read in bed before I go to sleep, and am continuing Stephen King's The Dome. For some reason, I'm having a hard time finishing it; I keep turning to other books, reading them, then going back to his. Maybe because it's over a thousand pages? But I'm accustomed to long books--Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States, was about as long and just read that. Anyhoo--the scary thing is, I can't remember what I read last night. It may come back to me when I pick it up again, though; hope so, as otherwise, I'm afraid I'm losing it.
Want to scrub the kitchen floor today and otherwise prepare for hosting our bimonthly Scrabble group on Tuesday.
WIDER: Chris Floyd, whom I frankly revere, writes in "Empire Burlesque" about the recent declaration from the White House that O. has the right to kill American citizens without indictment, trial, or proof of wrong-doing. Here he addresses those "liberals" and "progressives" who still wallow in the dear leader's divinity:
"Now, there can be no shuffling, no waffling on the matter. Obama has made it crystal clear for even the most avidly self-duping progressive: He will murder his fellow citizens without trial or evidence if he sees fit. The state can murder whom it pleases. This is the system we have. This is what you support when you support Barack Obama. You cannot escape this logic, this judgment. If you support Obama now, in this, then there is no crime he can commit that you will not support. And thus you become one of those people that we all used to puzzle over, the accomodationists to brutal tyranny: 'How did all those people go along with the Nazis? Why wasn't there more opposition to Stalin? How could they countenance all those obvious abominations? What kind of people were they?' Now you know. They were you. You are them."
Oh, yes, and I know so many of you.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Well I wasn't going to comment on Chris Floyd 'til his last sentences. ..."Now you know. They were you. You are them".

Sorry Mr Floyd. I voted for Obama and I still support him. Haven't agreed with everything....don't yet understand why we are in ...and killing innocent people in Afghanistan. However, I don't know enough to make sweeping statements like you do. Didn't Bush do the same thing...regarding Saddam by saying he wanted him dead or alive? Isn't Anwar al-Awlaki a huge threat to America even though he was born in the US?

I read all sides and hopefully stay somewhat informed. Please don't put me in the same category as the German people who just stood by and let things happen. I think that's an extremist point of view you have, Mr Floyd.

You don't court people from other points of view when you make such sweeping statements.

Rosemary, as far as not remembering what you read before you went to sleep....more than likely that's the result of being a fast reader. Unfortunately as your brain was going to sleep....comprehension didn't keep up with what you read. I'm sure you are fine.

Mimi said...

Pat, I'm puzzled. To say Bush did things just as evil doesn't argue for the rightness of what Obama is doing one way or the other, does it? As for Anwar al-Awlaki being a threat--of what specifically is he accused? I guess plotting against the U.S., but since when do we condemn people to death based on accusations, without a fair trial? I have no idea if he's "guilty" or not, but isn't the whole point of the rule of law, not men--that people have the right to face their accusers, to hear the charges against them, and to be represent3ed by an advocate, usually an attorney?
As for Chris Floyd, I haven't seen an instance in which he arbitrarily decided to chastize others; what I have seen is a person who has a deep well of knowledge and a passionate belief in morality.
BTW, I didn't vote for Obama. As soon as he chose Bidne for his running mate, I knew the game was up and voted for Nader.
Everybody has a right to his or her opinions and ideas, and I'm pleased you espressed yours on my blog.

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...