Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Three days left and I was pretty busy. Went first to the SOCH thrift store in Manahawkin and was able to pick up two jackets and a blouse for a total of $7.50. I'll have to decide which jacket to wear in which scene--one's dressier than the other. Went to the Tuckerton thrift shop and got three blouses and three pairs of "big" earrings for a few bucks. Along with what I have in my own wardrobe, that should do it.
Spent a lot of time recording some of the script and listened to it through the rest of the day. We couldn't get into the Community Center, as voting was held there yesterday, so we met at Barbara's for a "line through." Heather brought a twelve-pack of beer and all but Kathy indulged, which added a nice little buzz to the proceedings.
One of the new (to me) showbiz terms, a line through involves the actors just talking through the script, but they skip blocking or using props; in fact, I think the idea is not to add actual acting, either. At first, we just kind of mechanically recited, but after a while, we added expression--maybe that was the beer talking.
Everybody agreed it went well, although we all flubbed a bit. I was surprised and annoyed when I did--considering my concentration on my lines, I thought I'd be letter-perfect. There are certain areas that I tend to have problems with (I think that's true for all of us) and I'm going to study those hard.
Another late night--got home about 10:15--and this will continue for the duration, I know. I'll make it a point to take a nap today.

3 comments:

Pat said...

Rosemary,
I'm learning theater terms from you. Never heard 'blocking' before you used it a few posts ago. Since then, I'm hearing it more often. Now, 'line through' is new. Am enjoying your experience.

Can't you just ad lib when you forget a line or would that throw the others off too much? In our high school play I think I used to get cued by the final words of a speaker, so I guess ad libbing would not work.

Anyhow, good luck and we're all with you in spirit. If anything I believe you'll have a ball.
/pat

Jim Wetzel said...

You'll be GREAT! Wish I could go see it.

Mimi said...

Pat, of course we do ad lib when we blank out on something as several of us did last night; you can't just stand there. We actually jumped ahead at one point, but were able to backpedal enough to cover. Naturally, you have to adhere to the script in the main to advance the story line and not leave your colleagues stranded.
Jim, thanks so much--wish you could be here, too.

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...