Tuesday, May 05, 2009

A tiny little envelope of non-rain opened just long enough for me to finally get the johnny-jump-ups in the ground. In fact, I zipped back to Tucker Tom's to buy another flat; put them in, too. I hope the weather improves today, as I'm going to meet Mary in Toms River for lunch.
Other than that, I just did my caregiver and domestic chores, and they filled up the day, along with a little creative stuff: As I'm going to play the hostess (combined with the one-line waitress role), I prepared for rehearsal tomorrow night by making a few things. Found a large cardboard rectangle and added "MENU" to it in big stick-on letters. I'll carry that, as well as wear a large plastic key around my neck (thinking I could say something like "We hold the key to your digestion)." Because my character isn't named, and neither is the restaurant, thought I'd add something like "I'm your hostess, Tootie McFruitie; welcome to Cranberry Creek Country Kitchen Cottage Cuisine." Also looked on the net for "food jokes" to incorporate into my conversations with the guests. We're to stay in character throughout the evening, even while we eat and mingle and, of course, that part isn't scripted.
Rehearsal is at 7:00 and I'll be up at the Rider Longtimer Awards ceremony earlier, but I should be able to get to both if I don't linger too long in Lawrenceville.
Wider: ...or maybe this should be labelled "beyond belief." It seems the evangelicals enjoy fertile proselytizing ground in the U.S. Army, according to an article by Jeremy Scahill in Common Dreams. Org:
"New video evidence has surfaced showing that US military forces in Afghanistan have been instructed by the military's top chaplain in the country to "hunt people for Jesus" as they spread Christianity to the overwhelmingly Muslim population. Soldiers also have imported bibles translated into Pashto and Dari, the two dominant languages of Afghanistan."
I remember when "separation of church and state" was a basic American tenet. Now it's "torture and kill for Jesus." Wha' hoppen?

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...