Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I decided to move my breakfast time up an hour and eat at 8:00 to free up more time to go out while Pat's asleep. It worked out fine: I bought some bright red zinnias at Reynold's, dropped books off at the thrift store, and had time to go home and plant the stuff. Later, I got nasturtiums at Hand's, as well as a beautiful pink hanging plant at My Three Sons. I plan to add more, too; this year, I want a profusion of color. Got a welcome call from brother Jim, just asking how things were going. Later, heard from cousin John . I hope to be able to meet him in a month or so to do more genealogical exploring around Philly. A. said she'd give me a respite weekend then.
All in all, a good day, although cool. I understand it will be getting warmer starting today and that's hunky-dory with me.
Wider: From "The Disease of Permanent War," a piece by Chris Hedges in "Common Dreams. Org" on what seems to be our doom:
"The embrace by any society of permanent war is a parasite that devours the heart and soul of a nation. Permanent war extinguishes liberal, democratic movements. It turns culture into nationalist cant. It degrades and corrupts education and the media, and wrecks the economy...."
He goes on and the heart sinks:
"The hollowness of our liberal classes, such as the Democrats, empowers the moral nihilists. A state of permanent war means the inevitable death of liberalism. Dick Cheney may be palpably evil while Obama is merely weak, but to those who seek to keep us in a state of permanent war it does not matter. They get what they want."
It can--and should--be read at
http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/05/18

1 comment:

Jim Wetzel said...

Chris Hedges: "It is a state of permanent war that is finishing off the liberal traditions in Israel and the United States."

Ain't it the truth, though!

That was an excellent article. Thanks for linking it.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...