Thursday, May 07, 2009

Fabulous day yesterday! I got to Rider about 3:15 and walked into the library building and HR to be greeted with hugs and hosannas. David took me around to chat with old colleagues, Helen, Julie, Ron, Christina, and lots of others. I then went over to the Student Center and happened on a party in the art gallery for Anna R., the one I really wanted to see. She spotted me and we fell on each other with pleasure. Chatted with a few others, had a beer and a luscious, sinfully sweet piece of cake, piled with creamy, sugary icing--boy, was that good!
I then went to my earlier old stompin' grounds to see Shirley T. and Joyce T.--my old boss and her assistant. Walked downstairs with Shirley, who's a state senator, and what a pleasure to find we're of a very similar political persuasion.
Got to the awards gathering--outside in the president's backyard--and saw lots of other people I know. How gratifying it was to witness so many do a double-take, then exclaim at my weight loss! Is that vainglorious, silly, and superficial? Damn right and I loved it!
After witnessing Anna get her fifty-year award (she was hired right out of high school and got her bachelor's, then master's while at Rider), I regretfully left early, as I had to get back for rehearsal at 7:00. Made it in plenty of time and went with Frank. (I hope this production shapes up a little better than it did last night). Got home after 10:00 and Pat told me Betty had called; called her back and found she had been evacuated because of the forest fires above Santa Barbara. She's safe at her daughter's, though, and I hope her apartment survives.

No comments:

Tuesday

As has been happening lately, I spent an age dealing with R.E. agent, Kim, and requirements  surrounding the house. I got the quarterly wate...