Saturday, May 09, 2009

Busily ran around yesterday, to Staples (mailing stuff) and Target (gardening gloves), then finally planted the bulb garden bulbs out front. Did lots of domestic chores, as usual, and generally, had a pretty productive day. The rain held off--thank heavens--until late in the day and we even had sunshine for part of it.
Was informed by director Tara C. that we're booked at the Surf City Hotel for June 14 and will change parts. I'll be the "psychic," Ivana, for that one--a much bigger part and I'll have to learn that, plus the hostess one simultaneously. Hope I can cover it.
Wider: From Chris Floyd at his "Empire Burlesque" blog, crying out against our country's increasingly militant stance toward Pakistan:
"Yet still we march on, toward yet another pit of blood and filth, with scarcely a ripple of opposition to this lunatic course. Perhaps we have seen so much monstrous folly and murderous intent on display from our leaders in recent years that we have grown inured to it. Or it might be more accurate to say that we have been steeped in it from the moment we were born, imbibed it with our mothers' milk, accepted it, without question or awareness, as the natural, universal order: war, violence, destruction and slaughter, inflicted on grubby half-human creatures in distant lands, in our names, for our (purported) benefit, to keep us in our rightful, God-ordained position of all-devouring superiority."
Yes, yes, that's exactly it. We seem to think we're supposed to invade other countries, murder their residents, and "establish a presence" until the end of time.
Manifest destiny, is it? Manifest destruction is more like it, as we systematically prove our over-weening hubris.
Later: Back from WW and I'm up a pound. That's probably the result of my indugences at Rider and a few other slips here and there. It's not a disaster--131.2 and 68.4 pounds off, but I want to nip the "over 130" thing in the bud (or the bod--ha!). Will strive to be more diligent in the week ahead.

1 comment:

Zakhor Photography said...

Mimi:My wife Irene and I enjoyed reading material about your Uncle Frank and Aunt Claire and their valiant daughter Judy (your cousin, I take it). I worked for the Driscolls in Plymouth Meeting 4 1/2 years around the time Dr. Robert and Uncle Frankie passed away. Judy had not been gone long then. I met the Byrnes several times. I expect Claire may have since passed as she was frail then. I'd like to trade more stories about the farm, the Dehon-Driscolls and your family sometime.

I like your politics and values on this blog too. Theater is a terrific hobby and your reading sounds interesting. Jeremy Scahill is not that well known among older people. I feel sad that Obama's changes have been so limited, and that Congress won't respond to urgent needs.

Is Pat your husband? I've recently come upon care issues with my mom and Irene's mother. We moved near Charlotte, NC to help out. Anyway, any reply from you would be welcome at our email:
Figgersinstitute@yahoo.com if and when you find time. If not, I've bookmarked and will return to check up on your writing. Jack W. Martin

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...