Saturday, April 19, 2008

Took a dry run to Atsion Lake, an hour and 35 miles from here. I do want to join the hike on Monday, unless weather or something else comes up.
Had three phone calls yesterday, two of which were very welcome. Alison called about noon on her way home from work. She and Mike took the afternoon off to drive to Charlottesville, Virginia, for a half-marathon (13 miles). It starts at 6 am, so they'll stay overnight, then go to Monticello or something after; there are about 15,000 entered. I always marvel at how well-suited they are to each other, and what vigorous, happy, joint lives they lead.
Mike, Paula, and Vivian called/cammed last night. The little sweetie showed me all kinds of stuffed animals, books, and a water-filled balloon she got at "the picnic" (they let her play with that in the house!). She counted out 20 fish in her book--not bad for 3 1/2. Mike said they changed the place they'll stay in California to The Cheshire Cat in order to stay in a two-bedroom cottage instead of a hotel. Of course, it has maid and room service, with which they couldn't do without even though they carry their maid with them.
The last call was not pleasant. I spoke to my friend, Mary Ann Van O., who told me her husband, Bart, is being released from the hospital on Monday into hospice home care. He is on 11 liters of oxygen, an incredibly high number. (Pat, who is so air-deprived he can't walk across the room without being short of breath, is on 3 liters.) Of course, I offered to do whatever I can, which is little enough.
During our walk, Susan had told me she has a gum problem that's very painful. She had gone to her dentist up north, who had injected it with an antibiotic (ouch!) Oddly, he didn't offer to write her an RX for pain-killer and I told her we had Percodon (?) that Pat hadn't needed after his skin excisions. She was in such distress that she came over before dinner to ask for some and I gave her four. (Yes, that's how drug pushers are convicted, on evidence like this.) I'll see how she is in an hour or so when we walk.
Later: Hey, good news: I'm down another 2.4 pounds for a total of 65.4 and a current weight of 134.2. Now I'm going to decide how far I want to go and my strategy for staying there.

3 comments:

iloveac said...

Mike and Alison do sound fortunate to have found each other with such similar temperaments and interests. It's good to hear about such couples.

I am dating myself here, but back in the olden days they never used more than 2-3 liters of Oxygen for patients with COPD. I guess new knowlege has entered the scene.

I bet Percodan knocked Susan on her butt...and she won't be walking with you today. However, she probably was grateful for the pain relief.

Have a great hike tomorrow.

EBJ said...

I have never heard of using 11 liters of oxygen except maybe during an actual stroke or seizure. Sometimes in Hospice we would up it to 4-5 but, no more.
I do not think 11 liters will help this man for long.

Mimi said...

I'm also puzzled at so much oxygen, but didn't want to question Mary Ann about it. I was glad to see another car at her house this morning, which probably means one or more of her children are down helping her.

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...