Saturday, December 01, 2007

Not a whole lot going on yesterday. I ran down to Kohl's and got gloves (my new Land's End coat is maroon and all I had were red ones), plus a few other items. Separated out more of the Christmas stuff and actually decorated the house (inside) a bit. Did some wash--a ho-hum day.
The low point was yet another phone call from lousy First Horizon Bank. Clearly, they have our number in error: They've called two or three times a week for the last month or so. It's a recording that tells me to call an 800 number. Since we have no dealings with them and never did, I ignored the calls--until the phone rang at ten after nine Tuesday night.
Now I have no problem with calls that late IF--and only if--the house is on fire, a meteor is heading toward us, or one of my kids won the lottery. Otherwise, it will keep until the next day. This late call (nine o'clock is the middle of the night to me) infuriated me and the next day, I called the damn number. A recording was on that, too, telling me to put my loan number in. I don't have a loan number! Otherwise, the chirpy, cheery female voice said, "you'll be prompted to put in your social security number." After going through this farce three times, I finally did put in my SS number--at which point, the recording looped right back to asking for my non-existent loan number!
Now I'll abridge the ordeal: I looked up the customer service number on-line, called that, and talked to no fewer than three cretins to tell them there was clearly a mistake and to quit calling me. Of course, all this was interspersed with interminable waits while "all our customer representatives are presently busy, but remain on the line...." Mission accomplished? Oh, no, of course not. Yesterday, I got yet another call with the same "call this number" recording! More phone time, more gnashing of teeth, more screams and shouts. Finally, after the third transfer, I was assured I would be put through to an actual person in the loan department--and was subjected to horrible music for ten minutes (by the clock--I timed it) before I finally hung up. Last resort: I looked up their "contact us" info on-line and sent them a furious message to quit harassing me. If that doesn't work, I intend to contact the Better Business Bureau, the banking commission, and maybe the Godfather's bully boys.

4 comments:

iloveac said...

Geez, in addition to being furious I'd be afraid it was someone phishing. I hope you gave them an incorrect SS #.

I sent towels back to Land's End a few wks ago and yesterday caller ID listed a strange caller. The woman said "we want to credit your charge card and need your number".....'huh? You have it with the original sale'. "Unfortunately it didn't come over"...'Well, I don't know who you are and I am not giving out the #, please send a cash credit'. "We can do that".

Now, let's see if I get it or was it a scam with someone in the dept calling for charge card numbers....or maybe I'm too cautious. We'll see. But no one gets our info unless I've initiated the call.

Dee's Blog said...

Rosemary I agree with Pat, never never never give your SS# especially over the phone. I hesitate to give my SS# to anyone at all. In fact when I was being admitted to Mercy Hosp on Wed they asked me for it. It surprised me because of all the times I have been in the hospital no one has asked me for it.
I think I would definetely call Banking Commission and the Better Business Bureau.

Mimi said...

Hey, you guys: I commented after Pat's comment, but it didn't show. I'd never give my credit card if somebody just called out of the blue. However, I order quite a bit via computer, and haven't had any problem with that. I did give First H. my SS #, as I had looked up the phone number and it is, indeed, Frist Horizon's home loan number. Macy's also asks for your SS # to get a credit card--I grumble, but I want the card, so gave it to them. I think it's pretty standard for hospitals and other agencies to keep track via S.S. #s. Certainly, the V.A.does.

Mimi said...

Another thought: When it comes to my SS #, I'm not nearly as concerned about identity theft as I am about the U.S. government being able to look into my affairs.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...