Saturday, December 22, 2007

The court date went okay. Ellen and I arrived early (naturally; being practically compulsive, I'm early for everything) in a driving rain. I talked to the prosecutor briefly, and the upshot was, the points were reduced from six (six!) to four. I have the idea that all my carefully structured "defense" (my apology, the letter from Pat's pulmologist attesting to my caregiver status, the receipt from his oxygen company, even my license, registration, and insurance cards) made no difference at all. The prosecutor was very pleasant and immediately lowered the points, the judge instructed me, I answered "yes," paid a $139 fine, and that was that. Alison thinks Allstate won't even raise my insurance, but I'll have to wait and see about that.
Rest of the day was fabulous. Ellen and I picked up the birthday cake she had ordered, then we went out looking for a Christmas tree. I wanted a small one this year and we found a beauty about 5 1/2 feet high at Home Depot. We asked the have some of the trunk removed, then bundled it in the back seat and took it home.
Thank heavens for Ellen! She secured the tree in the stand, put the lights on, vacuumed up the needles, and generally did most of the work. She and I added the ornaments and it looks just beautiful.
In the meantime, I received phone calls, e-mail messages, and in-person birthday greetings from Betty, brothers, cousins, friends, and Joel and Jen. Big packages arrived from both Asian contingents--what fun!
Alison breezed in about 5:00 after her last day at work (she starts with Special Services school district after New Year's) and the girls ordered out--Chinese for them and me, Italian for Pat. The four of us had a lovely, casual dinner, laughing a lot, of course. I had sweet and sour pork (can't believe I ate all of it), and a big slab of that luscious cake. We took pictures, giggling and acting silly, then I opened my presents.
Got a digital picture displayer (will explain in a later post), a wonderful outdoor jacket, a gift certificate for Kohl's, an outdoor pants and top set, and a lovely hanging Christmas ornament. Included in the box from the Tokyo Two was a beautiful, handmade Christmas card--my new daughter-in-law is so talented (so is my "old" DIL).
Anyway, it was a full and happy day. The girls left about 8:30 and I promptly went to bed, slept like a log, and got up this morning at 5:15. Today, I'm meeting the D.D.s at 10 am for a hike in the forest with the South Jersey Outdoor Club. Some of the members will go 7 to 10 miles, but Alison said she'd take Ellen and me just 2 or 3 . E. is staying over A.'s tonight, but may come back to our house today. Either way, we'll all be together again on Christmas Eve at A.'s and Christmas Day at our place.
Am I fortunate? Damn right. Do I know it? Absolutely and I must never forget.

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...