Monday, December 24, 2007

Said goodbye to Susan after our walk; she and Walter left for her daughter's in Connecticut shortly after. We sloshed through heavy rain and wind again, but no matter, we completed our route.
After getting my chores and obligations at home done, I left with Ellen for Alison's and we arrived about noon.
What an enjoyable day we had! Alison had a list of items to complete before her dinner party for fifteen tonight and E. and I selected our choices. Ellen, the trimmer par excellence, made the tree beautiful, even adding chiming bells that play Christmas songs. In the meantime, I wrapped the fifteen or so gifts for the children from Alison and Mike, and Alison scrubbed down the laundry room. I cleaned and sliced the celery for dip, then Ellen and I made a pecan pie and got it in the oven.
As we worked in the expansive new addition, we listened to music and laughed at the chiming bells. We couldn't decide if they were charmingly evocative of the Christmas spirit or irritating enough to make you want to shoot them silent.
Alison and Mike will lead a hike on New Year's Day and I'm hoping to join them. It's 7 to 10 miles at a moderate pace, and I'm confident I can do it.
Mike, whose assignment was hanging pictures (all taken by him of forest fauna and framed beautifully) showed us a wonderful find: A crank telephone for the wall he had found among his late father's things. It's not hooked up as a phone, but the lovely, tinkling bell still rings. It's just perfect for their "rustic elegance" decor and he hung it next to the big double window on the back wall.
Incidentally, right outside that window grows a mimosa tree that's naturally bare now. I had suggested they cut it down to make the vista of their large, treed backyard more prominent. Of course, these two environmentalist practically choked and collapsed on the spot. It's now become a joke for us and I laughed out loud to see it yesterday: Alison had climbed a ladder to hang Christmas ornaments on almost every branch--it looks beautiful, all adorned! (Better than it will in the spring with those ugly mimosa blooms on it, I remarked.)
After most of the chores were done, I drove home, leaving Ellen to stay over. She'll come back down to our place with us tonight and will help me prepare Christmas dinner. Poor El! She's gone back and forth for various reasons during her whole trip, but is so cheerful and pleasant about it. Sweet girl with her sweet sister--my D.D.s.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
There are mimosa trees aplenty around here. I like them and think they are pretty tho.
I bet Ellen loves every bit of it. Just to be with you and Alison is probably a lot of fun.

Mimi said...

It IS fun, Pat--more fun than I've had in a long time. Of course, these "girls" of mine are 46 and 44 now, but they'll always be my girls.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...