Friday, December 14, 2007

Had a ball at the L.'s last night; they throw the best parties. Regrettably, I went hog-wild--an apt expression!--in the food department, chowing down with first, the ham, cheese, and cracker appetizers, then pork, gravy, white and sweet potatoes, and cole slaw; the only green on my plate was a lonesome little heap of string beans. Also had several glasses of wine and--here's the biggie--both tiramasu and cheesecake for dessert. Okay, I'll be right back on my regime today, and won't dwell on my over-eating.
Sadly, Pat didn't feel he could go, and believe me, it was dispiriting to drive to Egg Harbor alone--another place we had always gone together for several years. However, Rita M., a widow, was there as a single, and so was Barbara J., whose husband, Frank, had had minor surgery that day. Danny and Kate S., whom I like so much, were there, plus Don and Noreen McG. Along with the gracious hosts, Joe and Flo, that was the group.
All but Noreen are HSHS grads; besides me, they're either 1950 or '51 alum. Kate also graduated from St. James with Pat and my brother, Larry--the others mostly went to "Star." We told stories about events of more than half a century ago, laughed a lot, and basked in the comfort of shared memories.
After the great dinner, we did our ($5) gift exchange, acting silly as we as we opened, then "stole" from each other. I chose to take a jar candle--I keep a lighted candle on the dinner table every night--in "banana nut bread." Smells pretty good.
I brought the digital camera and will transfer the pics to the computer, to show Pat and share with the L.'s. Joe took Polaroid shots (he's the only one I know who still uses that camera, which was so innovative when it came out) of each of us, as he does every year.
Anyway, it was a wonderful Christmasy evening. I didn't get home until after ten, so skipped my popcorn and wine (I had had many times the calories at the party), and went happily to bed.
A conceited additional note: Earlier in the day, I went to Kohl's, hoping to get a pair of semi-dressy slacks to wear to the party. Tried on what seemed to be dozens of them, and was both pleased and chagrined: pleased because I can now fit into most 14 petites, chagrined because the legs are cut so full.
Here's the conceited part: I have nice legs. I was born with them. My mother had nice legs, my older sister did, and so does Betty. We have thin thighs, well-shaped calves, and slender ankles. When I buy pants, I don't want them flapping around my nice legs. I want my nice legs defined and emphasized. Clothiers, take note!
Anyway, I didn't find any that showed off my nice legs, so left empty-handed and wore old, too big, pants to the party.
Cleaners will be here this morning and I want to run to the bank and get some cash as Christmas gifts for them.

4 comments:

Dee's Blog said...

Rosemary you are quite the party girl. I get invited to parties but usually decline them. I am such a negative person around the holidays and I don't want that to spoil the holiday spirit for others. Some people are good at hiding it but I am not one of those people. A friend of mine once told me, if you want to know how Dee is just look at her face.
It's a shame that Pat could not go but it is more important for him to stay home and rest. His health is far more important then the party.
Congratulations to Allison on her new job. You must be so proud of her and all your children for that matter. They all are so sucessful! You and Pat deserve a lot of credit raising such wonderful kids.
As for going off your diet, you probably are use to eating little and when you sat down to a delicious meal it appeared to be a lot. You deserve all the calories you comsumed for losing 50 lbs. Gads! I feel slim just saying those words.
PARTY ON GIRL AND ENJOY THE SEASON!

Mimi said...

Dee,
My twinnie, Betty, told me long ago (after she was widowed): "Never turn down an invitation." I like that and I rarely do. Just a wild party girl, you're right.
Thanks for your nice words about both Alison and me!

iloveac said...

With those nice legs and I remember seeing them this summer in your shorts. I'd show them off....why not a dress?
The old saying is..'if you have it, flaunt it'. Hey it would be false modesty not to acknowledge the good things about ourselves.

Mimi said...

You're right, Pat, and I do intend to look for a skirt and/or dress, maybe to wear on Christmas Eve or Christmas.

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...