Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Best, best Christmas news ever! A few minutes ago, I opened an e-mail from Mike and Paula--they're giving Vivian a baby sister or brother in mid-July--yay! I had the idea they were trying, but wasn't quite sure. What a great event to look forward to! (Oh, I don't care if it should be "at which to look forward.") I'm so thrilled and overjoyed. Pat and Ellen are still asleep--can't wait to tell them!
This just enhances a wonderful holiday season. Yesterday, I got to Shop-Rite at 7 am and bought ingredients for dinner tonight: pork roast, apples for baking, baking potatoes, heavy cream, and lots of other stuff. Spent the morning and early afternoon making Nana Mix, Molloy's Irish Creme, and paring 5 pounds of potatoes (Alison had asked me to bring mashed to her Christmas Eve gathering). Just had time to jump in the shower before leaving for her place at 2:00 pm.
We had such a great time last night in their huge, wonderfully decorated (she laughingly calls it "rustic elegance) living/dining room. The Phillips Four got there just as we did, then Mike's son, DIL, and the two kiddies arrived, followed by his brother, Brent. Ellen, of course, was already there, having stayed over (but came back after with us).
Much conversation, laughing, and fun ensued. There were plenty of appetizers and, as I had skipped lunch, I helped myself to more than enough. Dinner was a big fresh ham with a pineapple glaze, string bean casserole, pureed butternut squash, my smashed taters (I can't help myself--I always say that), and other sides. Dessert? The pecan pie Ellen and I made, as well as apple and strawberry/rhubarb, and wonderful lemon poppy seed muffins from Brent.
The children then opened their presents and, of course, that generated lots of excitement and cries of surprise. Every time Joely opened one, he would turn to the giver and say, "Thank you." Little Tristan was just recovering from a nasty bronchial infection, but was passed around from hand to hand and was fairly cheerful. Joel took Jen to the basement to see his gift to her: a shiny new 13-speed bike.
Anyway, it was a terrifically enjoyable evening. The setup of Alison's house lends itself to several "conversation areas" and during the party, different people got together and chatted, then shifted, regrouped, and joined other "sets." The separations were temporary and comfortable, and everybody still felt part of the whole.
Pat was tired and ready to leave about 7:30, so we said our goodbyes, and drove off, Ellen with us. Today, she and I will prepare for Christmas dinner. We're having only six, so it will be quiet, but good.
Just now, I got a nice e-card bringing Christmas wishes from cyber-pal, Dee. I then interrupted this entry to announce the good news to Pat and Ellen--a new grandbaby in a new year! It's a joyous time, all right--happy day!



2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,Pat and Auntie Ellen,

I am almost as excited as you are. What wonderful news and to learn it on Christmas Day. Congrats to all of you!

Mimi said...

Thanks so much, Pat! I just called Betty, who was on her way to church; she said she'd call me in an hour. Can't wait to tell her, especially considering her good news.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...