Tuesday, December 04, 2007

After the usual domestic chores, went to Hamilton Mall. I'm now getting frantic about sending off Vivian's Christmas present, since they're leaving for their cruise on December 21st. Didn't get anything, but will strive to do so today, as I know what I want.
We got both Holy Spirit's and Rider's quarterly reports. I was struck by their similarity in layout, design, and content--and of course, purpose, which is, pure and simple, to elicit money from grads. When I went to HSHS, it seemed the whole school was run by the engine of selling ads for the senior play. Woe to the student who didn't sell enough ads! I guess they got the occasional donation or bequest, but they sure didn't go very public with their fund-raising efforts.
In this mag, it seems significant to me that their "alumni notes" section starts with the class of 1969. That will give some idea of how important we earlier grads--who now, I guess, are regarded in our dotage--are seen by the school. Guess the idea is to present itself as a fresh, forward-looking, young place to attract new students and put its rather spotty history in the shade. It's the way of the world, I'm afraid...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps no one from before the Class of 1969 sent in any class notes for that issue? You could at least send in a blurb that pushes this blog.

-Robyn

Mimi said...

I meant to do that a few months ago, Robyn, but never got around to it. In the old days at Rider, I remember notes from the--get this--classes of '02 and '03, and they weren't obits, either.
BTW, Rider's current report mentions that there was 50 % participation (i.e., those who donated). TWO donors were listed, which means, I guess, only four are left. Well, they graduated from college 77 years ago.

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...