Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Women's Club luncheon yesterday was just superb. I've eaten at SeaOaks often (it's an over-55 community for the golfing set, with homes in the 4 to 6 K range) and always enjoyed it, but this was downright elegant. The Christmas decorations were beautiful: big pots of red and white poinsettias were set here and there, along with a towering tree, glittering lights, and laurel wound around the banister of the broad, carpeted staircase.
The lunch was upstairs, in a big room lined with almost floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the lush golf course. I had encrusted tilapia (delish!), with whipped potatoes and string beans. Ate it all, along with a glass of Chardonnay, but skipped the roll and had only a few spoonfuls of the dessert, apple crisp with vanilla ice cream.
I went with, and sat with, Barb H., Pat H., Lois V., and Maureen O., all of whom I know and like. Three other women made up the rest of the table.
Lois, who won one of the 50-50 prizes, travels a lot with her husband (I'd give anything to be able to do that now), and is going to Thailand next month. I told her that was my favorite place in Asia and that she must go to the Jim Thompson House while she's there. She was very interested, so I said I'd send her the web site, which I did when I got home.
Earlier in the day, I finally sent off the Nana (Chex) Mix to Patrick and Natsue, and wrapped and sent the scrapple to cousin Bob. Tonight is the League's Christmas party; Pat was considering going, but I can't imagine he'll be able to. I feel a little funny about going alone, as they were originally his friends, but I don't want NOT to go, either.
Here's the best news of the day: Alison got the job at Burlington Special School District, and--as she's been so anxious to --will be back working with children! They met her salary requirements, she starts with the new year, and we're just thrilled and overjoyed for her. This is a ten-month job (she'll have to pick up something else in the summer), which means she's off when the kids are. Happy day!
Later on Thursday: Okay, I went up by two tenths of a pound. I'm shrugging that off--it's not a problem--and am just wryly amused by the fact that I'm back at 150 pounds (exactly). I know I'm still heading down and will pass the 50-pound milestone soon.

4 comments:

iloveac said...

First...Big time congrats to Alison.

Two tenths of a lb probably gives your body a little rest from losing. The nurse in me says it's time for you to have a bone density anyhow before you lose too much more. There can be bone loss with big weight reduction. Fortunately in your case you walk every day...but there might be some in your wrists. At a minimum do some wrist/arm wgt bearing exercises.
You are doing so well in your determination and are an inspiration to me. I will follow you. Can't commit to 'when' til after the holidays.

Mimi said...

Pat, I do lift weights, including arm curls, of course. How about you? Do you add them to your exercise regime, in addition to the treadmill?

iloveac said...

I do resistance exercises when I go to the gym 3X/wk. I do the treadmill at home.

You still might want to consider a bone density Dexa scan....you've lost a large amout of wgt from those bones and you were a heavy smoker...two risk factors for decreased bone density.
You can pay me for this unsolicited advice with your charge card...just send me your charge card number.

Mimi said...

Will send you the number in exchange for your check...
My last bone density test was years ago; have been taking calcium, etc. since. It's something to think about and I'll ask the doc next time I see her. Thanks for the suggestion.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...