Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Mike called on the web cam to say he had had dinner in Tokyo at a Mexican restaurant with his brother and new SIL. She seems very nice, he said, and--surprise--has a black lab. Not sure if it's hers or her family's, as it doesn't live with them. Unfortunately, Paula couldn't be there as she didn't arrive until the next day. She and Mike did stay together overnight. Paula's birthday was a few days later and to celebrate, she and Mike checked into the Mandarin Oriental back in Singapore (I've been there and it's elegant). Nice to have a nanny so you can do that, even with a three-year-old.
Got down to Betty's about 11:00 and her friend, Sue M., arrived shortly after. Sue is a neat person and I was pleased she joined us. She's assistant to a New Jersey judge and has wonderfully interesting--but discreet--stories to tell. We went to the Green House in Margate for lunch. That place holds a lot of memories for Betty, as it was a bar and hangout for her in her drinking days. Now it's been completely remodeled and is a very nice, upscale restaurant. However, the dining room part (we wanted to sit on the deck) is open only three days a week and not on Monday. No matter, we ate at the bar. I had, yes, C.s. with c., which tasted very good--but! see below. Sue and I had a refreshing Coors light with our meal, Betty an O'Doul's clone, and as usual, I took more than half my salad home.
After, we drove down to Longport to the rock jetty. Lots of people were fishing and, interestingly, some were throwing nets to catch small, silvery fish; not sure what they were. Boy-o-boy, what a gorgeous view: the sun sparkled and shone off the slowly rolling waves, the white sand glistened, and the sky arched overhead like a blue canopy. Damn! Why don't I have three million dollars to built a house there? Will start saving.
Okay, here's "below": After a very pleasant day, I drove home in late afternoon. I had no sooner gotten on the Parkway than I started to feel queasy--then more than queasy, downright sick. My stomach hurt and that icky bile thing was threatening in my throat. I was actually considering pulling off to rid my body of whatever was roiling around in there, but chewed a few Tums and felt at least marginally better. By the time I got home, I was considerably better and after a few plumbing maneuvers (now, ain't I cute with the euphemisms?), I recovered. Ordinarily, I would have finished the Caesar salad for dinner, but I was uncharacteristically prudent in this case and threw it out. I gave Pat a pork chop, but ate very lightly myself, simply having half a butternut squash, a very small "white" sweet potato, and a few spoonfuls of peas. That would give WW purists the vapors, but I know my body and it worked for me. Later, I was able to enjoy my wine and popcorn with no problem.
Older d.d.*Alison called and we had a good talk. She'll be down on Sunday, with or without hubby Mike, and we'll remove two round bushes (the last ones the builder put in; we already had the spreading yews transplanted to the side), plant my newly acquired stuff, and spread mulch.
Tonight, will meet Vivian in Manahawkin for dinner, always an enjoyable experience. Now must wind this up, make a fresh pot of coffee, and pick Susan up for our walk.
*Darling daughter

1 comment:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
Sorry you got sick like that. It was bound to happen with all those restaurant salads you chance. I bet it was the dressing. I do the same eating White House subs etc. Thank goodness your wonderful system didn't let it 'take hold' and chucked it.
The GreenHouse....I think was an older local crowd in the winter. In the summer we frequented the 'beach club/pub next to it. Of course all those bars in Margate were summer fun.
Your description of the view from the Longport jetty made me feel I was there again. Not in my billion dollar house, but my old camaro. I used to take my Dad to enjoy the view.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...