Monday, September 03, 2007

I wasn't expecting it to be, but yesterday was one of the best times of the summer. I went down to Ventnor Heights to meet Betty, Muckie, and old friend Hazel P. for lunch. People were streaming onto the island in long lines; it took me 20 minutes to get from the toll booth to the cutoff for the Black Horse Pike. While I was stuck in the traffic, Betty called to say Albany Avenue Bridge was closed and would I pick up Hazel? Of course I would and found her house with no trouble.
Hazel lived on Wyoming Avenue, next to Rosborough, when we were kids and she, Betty, and I have been friends since we were about five. She married Charles P., always called "Sleek," 53 years ago and he now has lung and liver cancer--not good news and he was diagnosed only in June. I went in to say hello to him and we had a nice chat.
Hazel herself suffers from a variety of ailments from arthritic shoulders to esophagus trouble (she's lost fifty pounds) to eye and foot conditions. She no longer drives and is really having a difficult time. She's carrying on, though, caring for herself and Sleek, and is very brave. I told her I'd let her know about a caregiver's group we could attend in Margate in the fall.
We met at Dee's, a third-rate luncheonette in Ventnor Heights. Ordered the usual and when it came, I realized they have no idea how to make Caesar salad. The chicken managed to be both rubbery and tough--certainly just hauled out of the freezer--and the dressing (have no idea what it was) was placed in those little plastic cups on the side--geesh!
However, the company was enjoyable so it didn't matter what the food was like. We talked and laughed and had a great time, but Pat and I were due at Frank and Barbara's at 4:00, so we said goodbye. The parkway was jammed on the way home--even going north--and I got in just in time to change my shirt and freshen up a bit before we went to the D.'s dinner next door.
Now that was a wonderful evening. It was just us, the hosts Frank and Barbara, Dennis and Leslie, and Anne Mary. As soon as we sat down, we were plied with Margaritas--oh, yes indeedy, I'll have one--okay, two. The hot dogs and hamburgers were great on the grill and the salad, baked beans, macaroni, and so on were basic--terrific--outdoor food. We ate on their screened-in porch and were serenaded by music from the American Legion Post around on Radio Road.
Just a great night with great friends and great talk that ranged from Catholic childhoods to present beliefs to funny stories to the criminal-in-chief in the White House, and so on. We never did get around to playing dominos, but sat and talked so long it got to be after 9:00 and we decided we'd just have to do it again--yay!
Am now leaving to meet Betty and her niece, Dorothy, at the cemetery. It's the third anniversary of Jay's death.

2 comments:

Dee's Blog said...

Rosemary, you exhaust me just listening to your daily itenerary. Just curious, do you take a nap during the day.
It is sad hearing about Wes's death, so young. I can understand why Betty wants to remember him.
Those Margaritas sound yummy, watch out for WW, they will tell

Mimi said...

Take a NAP?! No, I never take naps; that's for old ladies.
Just kidding--but I've never felt the need or the desire to nap during the day. I think I'd feel as if I had nothing to do, and would be bored and lonely.
Read Andrew Marvel's "To His Coy Mistress," Dee. It's a superb poem and the sentiment is the kind I embrace.

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...