Sunday, September 16, 2007

After I got Pat settled yesterday morning, I went into Manahawkin. I was determined to buy a pedometer, mostly to see how far I actually walk in a day. The ideal is 10,000 steps but, according to our WW lecturer Cris, that's hard to achieve. I had a few other items to pick up, one thing led to another, and I ended up spending hours at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Wal-Mart, Pathmark, and Kohl's. Got another door prize at the latter store--a case with bath gel, moisturizer, and other stuff--and couldn't resist buying myself a set of 5 scented sprays and an "infuser" thingy. Was almost ready to drive home when I realized I had forgotten the pedometer--the very thing, of course, that I set out to buy. Got it, so okay.
Finished the lemon squares, popped in the shower, set up dinner and the table for Pat (who had, I'm sorry to say, decided he wasn't up to going), and walked down to Leslie's at 4:30, as requested.
We had a good time. This was the R.'s church dinner group--two other couples (including Walter and Susan) were there, plus a visitor from upstate NY, Frank and Barb D., Ray and Barb H., and me.
Everybody brought something and boy, what good food. There was quiche, salad, Mexican casserole, pasta, and assorted sides, plus fruit punch. (Heh, heh, I opted for a glass of white zinfandel.) After the main course(s), Les had the guys play a game called "Pretty Princess." It was hysterical, as the game is for little girls from 3 to 10. It involves spinning a wheel to see where you land to get to put on the bracelets, necklaces, earrings, and so on provided; whoever ends up with the most jewelery and the crown, wins. It was so funny watching the fellas putting on their jewels and, of course, they all fell right into the game while Les took pictures.
After that, dessert was served, but I said my goodbyes. I didn't want to have dessert, plus I felt guilty about leaving Pat alone yet again. Got in about 7:30 and we had our regular evening fare.
Very nice day. Now I'm looking forward to seeing on T.V. the Philadelphia race Alison and Mike are running today.

4 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
The party sounds like lots of fun. Good to read the guys got into it as well.

10,000 steps. I had a pedometer and you're are right. It seems like you would have that number reached in no time flat. Even on the treadmill walking for a mile and half plus everything else I did all day....I fell shy of the 10K. My longer stride might work against me....I think I usually did between 8500 and 9500. Then I put the pedometer in the drawer where it now resides...somewhere in there.

Mimi said...

Pat, according to the brochure, the length of your stride shouldn't be a factor. It is in how far you walk, but not in how many steps you take.

iloveac said...

I know, but if you and I walked to Tuckerton....you'd take alot more steps than I to get there. I'd have to continue on down the road to reach the same # of steps as you.

Mimi said...

That's definitely true, Pat. But, hmmm...because you're taller and bigger-boned than I am, presumably your steps use more calories?? Or fewer?? Or what?? 'Tis a puzzlement.
Anyway, that "10,000 steps" may be the "one size fits all" thing that plagues most diet/exercise plans. I assume it's just a general guide for a healthy lifestyle; certainly, it doesn't take into account other factors, such as calories consumed, or whether you want to lose, gain, or stay the same. I don't think it even addresses that but means, simply as a general thing, that for health, one should move purposefully a certain amount.
BTW, my booklet tells me there are "distance" pedometers that tell you steps distance, calories burned, time spent, and heart rate.
Mine, of course, just records steps, enough for me right now.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...