Friday, September 07, 2007

I was taken aback to read in yesterday's NYTimes that there's a newly-discovered base cause for a respiratory problem: microwave popcorn! It seems this malady has been known for years to afflict workers in popcorn factories. Some kind of vapor forms when the popcorn is processed for the microwave and, if inhaled heavily and often enough, it causes serious breathing problems. The man targeted in the article said he had eaten two bags of microwave popcorn every day for ten years and loved to breathe in the aroma after the bag was opened.
Yoicks! I'm not giving up my nightly popcorn, but yesterday I went out looking for an air popper. Think I could find one at any store in Manahawkin OR any of the three thrift shops I visited? Of course not and I'm not anxious to follow the alternative of using oil--don't want to ingest the calories with that.
I've decided to continue enjoying my microwave popcorn at night. For one thing, I understand the popcorn manufacturers are now engaged in taking this ingredient out. Also, after calmer reflection, I realized the chances of me having a problem with this are remote. I've been eating popcorn daily for only a few months, and I don't "breathe in" the vapors anyway. If I come across an air popper, I'll probably buy it, but I'm not going in pursuit of one. I don't want to live my life being afraid of this, that, and the other thing.
Aside from the flurry of activity mentioned above, I spent a fairly quiet day doing housework and shopping. Implementing my plan to reduce calories to get off the weight plateau, I had only a salad for dinner after cauliflower and acorn squash for lunch. Want to go to Santori's today to replenish my supply of veggies.

6 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I'd read the 'microwave popcorn' article the other day and it caught my attention too. If I remember correctly, it was the workers in the factory where the popcorn is made who developed the bronchitis i.e.'microwave popcorn lung'. They were inhaling the fumes all day. I doubt they'd be any risk whatsoever to eating the stuff. I do hope however they protect those workers. Geez, what next? I agree with you in that we have to be prudent in what we choose to avoid...otherwise we'll be missing out on lots of good stuff.

Mimi said...

The man featured in the Times didn't work there--just ate popcorn twice a day and inhaled the fumes--for ten years!

iloveac said...

OMG! I went back to read the article I first saw, and it was August 30th...I didn't see mention of the man who ate it each night breathing in the fumes in that article.

THEN, I saw the articles of Sept 5th and 7th stating his nightly inhalation. That is scary to me. I still don't think the general public is at great risk.....I know that man wouldn't agree. It's the workers who have the greatest risk.
Do you think you'd like air-popped popcorn? I thought it was like cardboard. I think I'd rather have my oil from safflower oil than diacytl from the microwave stuff. I'm sure they'll remove it pronto.

Anonymous said...

I thought of you when I saw that on the news. Yikes indeed!

Karen

Anonymous said...

I thought of you when I saw that on the news. Yikes indeed!

Karen

Anonymous said...

I thought of you when I saw that on the news. Yikes indeed!

Karen

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...