Thursday, September 20, 2007

Attended the "tax talk" yesterday, but left halfway through, as I know I can get the same info on-line. The gist of it was that the NJ rebate is now going to be credited to taxes, rather than sent in a separate check. I remember when Governor Brendan Byrne instituted this years ago. There was no reason in the world why it shouldn't have been credited then, but of course, politicians being the scum of the earth, a check had to be sent out instead because it had Byrne's name on it.
Something annoyed me no end at this gathering. The talk was for senior citizens, so of course, the entire audience was "of a certain age," as the novelists used to write. Pandering to his constituents, the local councilperson, Art M. made a lumbering joke when he introduced the speaker from the state, who looked to be in his late 20s: "Well, I saw this guy and I thought, 'he's so young, what could he know?'" There was a laugh, but I was disgusted. What if a younger person had said "he's so old, what could he know?" When are we going to quit laughing at these mean, division-creating remarks? Humph!
Got my perm at 2:00 and boy, does it look good. I told April I wanted it shorter than I've been wearing it and I like the length a lot. It really gave me a lift and Pat even complimented me on it.
Alison sent pictures of her in the Philadelphia race on Sunday and they're very good. I'd like to order just two of them, but unfortunately, it looks as if you have to get them in a "package," starting at thirty bucks. She and Mike are in so many races I wouldn't want to start that.
When I stopped for Susan, she gave me a little loaf of blueberry bread. Served it to Pat at dinner; he had several pieces and liked it a lot.
Have decided not to attend the whole respite weekend, but may go on Saturday only.
Later: Back from WW and am down another 1.2 for a total of 34.8 and a current weight of 164.8. Now I can look forward to another interim milestone of reaching 35 pounds off; already passed the "middle of the 160s" mark.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

I wanted to post this comment earlier but had to wait til now. Afraid it'll lose some of its punch.
To quote: "When are we going to quit laughing at these mean, division-creating remarks? Humph!
"
When?.....When you stop referring to my heroes.... our self-sacrificing, underpaid, brilliant politicians as SCUM.

Sorry,RBM I had to say it.

BTW, congrats on the continued progress toward your goal.

Mimi said...

Aha, I knew it all along, Pat! You're a secret Bushie!
Uh, no...considering your own well-chosen flamers, even I can't sustain that joke.

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...