Saturday, September 22, 2007

The cleaners came and the place looks fine. I have the windows thrown open and love the fresh air drifting through. Spent a couple of hours clearing a lot of the front garden yesterday; also changed our bed, did several loads of wash, and drove to Manahawkin for various errands. In the evening, picked up Leslie and we joined the peace vigil in Absecon. As ever, it was gratifying to hear the horns blow in response to our group's sign: "Honk For An End To This War."
Earlier, I had had an interesting, very much related experience while I was skulking in the study waiting for the cleaners to finish. I idly picked up one of my old Life magazines (I have a number of them). It's from 1942, 65 years ago, and I raised my eyebrows when I saw who was on the cover: Fawzia, the Queen of Iran at 22, a beautiful young woman who, unfortunately, was unable to give her husband, the Shah, a son. (If I'm not mistaken, the Shah ran through a number of wives. I recall that he died of cancer in New York about--oh, 30 or so years ago.) Then, of course, Iran was our bosom buddy, no matter how wretched the lives of its citizens under the Shah.
I was fascinated by the ads. At least three quarters of them make some reference to the war, asking their patrons to be patient while tires and gas were scarce, telling them wool was needed for uniforms, and touting V-8 vegetable juice as a way to "keep America strong." Believe it or not, the Simmons mattress company admonished readers, "unless you actually need a new mattress--don't buy it! Put the money into War Bonds instead..."
Of course, the magazine is filled with war stories. There's an article about Navy pilot Lt. John Powers, 28, lost over the Coral Sea. It shows pictures of him as a "beautiful but manly" two-year-old and as a teenager taking his sister fishing. It includes his graduation portrait from Annapolis and John as a young flier training in Pensacola. His parents are pictured, too, looking dazed and unbelieving--where could their beautiful but manly little boy have gone?
The contrast between those times, when it was assumed the American people would all make sacrifices on the home front--and now, when this ugly, dirty little action is Iraq is a source of shame and horror for so many--is striking, of course. Can anyone imagine companies urging people to help the war effort by NOT buying their products so they can be directed to the armed forces?
Well, I pored over the magazine for a good hour yesterday and here's the kicker: The date was September 21 yesterday, right? The Life magazine I read was published in 1942. It's dated September 21.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Wow! Talk about co- incidence. Uncanny.

Rosemary, where on earth do you find storage for all those magazines? Amazing. Your home looks like House and Garden.

Also where did you get a magazine with that date and
What do you plan do do with them? They are treasures.

Mimi said...

Pat, I have at least 30 or 40 magazines from the 30s and 40s and a few from the 20s. I bought them at flea markets and yard sales over the years. You saw my study; on the bottom shelf of the section near the window, I have a large, rectangular basket. I keep some of the mags in there. They're interesting just to read and also seem to be in keeping with the look of the room.
In my special "Quint boxes," I keep the magazines--a surprising number of them--that feature the Dionne Quintuplets on the cover and/or in articles. Some are Life, some Woman's Day, some movie mags, etc.
I have other mags just stored in boxes in the garage, but periodically take them out to read. I'm just entraced by peoples' lives and by the mystery of time passing.
As for what I'll do with them--for now, I'll just keep them because I like them.

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...