Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Tuesday--To Do Day

I worked my tail off* yesterday. Early on, I emptied my suitcase, rearranged the closet where I store it, did two loads of wash, roasted two potatoes and four yams, and started writing out my new year's cards. I wrapped a present for niece, Carolyn, walked to the post office through the driving rain--okay, it dripped a little, but all day--to mail it along with some other items. 

Stopped on my way back at Von's for tangerines. I was almost home when Sharon called. She said she and her husband had called an ambulance and she would go to Community Hospital to try to finally get to the bottom of her extreme physical problems. She can no longer walk and is in pain; I just don't understand why more hasn't been done by her regular doctor or urgent care. Hmm...it's possible she was advised in certain directions, but is unwilling or unable to follow. 

Ellen texted me that today, she'll bring the presents I forgot, then we'll go out to lunch. Ha--she's a real Californian now--doesn't want to go out in the rain. That was fine by me, as I want to get things back to normal. 

Suzanne, back from San Diego for Christmas at her brother's and SIL's, stopped in to get her mail and stayed to chat a bit. I called Bobbi and I was glad to hear both she and her husband are, at this point, doing pretty well. Hope it continues.

Suzanne called again to bring me up to date on Vickie's situation with Mary. Mary is now in hospice at the hospital, so I assume it won't be long. Vickie was with Mary's family members coming from there, but incredibly, will drive the hour back after she has a bite to eat. I'm more concerned about her than Mary, as she's lost weight (she's very slender as it is) and a reoccurrence of  the breast cancer is always a worry. 

On a cheerier note, I want to show what Carolyn gave me for my birthday. It's unique, imaginative,  and wonderfully evocative of my life:

It's an air plant, which is great, as it requires no care (Ellen says I should mist it occasionally, though). On one side is a silhouette of California and figures of two little babies--the twins, Betty and me.
On the other side, there's a silhouette of New Jersey and two Scrabble tiles. But why are they "RT," instead of "RB" (for "Rosemary Byrne" or "RM," for that matter)? It's a long story, but so what, this is my blog and I'm going to put it here: 

Neither Betty nor I had middle names at birth. When the time came, I took the Confirmation name "Theresa," in honor of St. Theresa. That made my initials "RTB," which, sounded out, is "Arty Bee."  Betty started calling me that, then shortened it to "Art." In fact, that's what she consistently called me into adulthood until she went away. When she called me on the phone, she would always, when I answered, say, "Art?" I would give anything to pick up the phone and hear that again. 

Carolyn also added a Ventnor/Margate beach badge. (Fittingly, it's an old one.)  She gave me an amaryllis, too, as did Ellen, so I have--you might say "twins." 

  

* One of my husband's favorite sayings.

No comments:

Julie picked me up at 9:15 and we went to the BCNN meeting. The program. by the owner of Otto & Sons Nursery in Fillmore, was on growing...