Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Tuesday; The Last One...

...of being 85, that is.

Went over to the pharmacy at Von's for my 9:30 appointment to get the COVID booster and flu shot, only to have the pharmacist turn over my paper and find that I already had gotten the former in September--oops, so I just got the one.

While waiting for the bus to meet Noreen for lunch, Jim called with birthday wishes. He said he knew it was today, but didn't think I'd be available then. It turned out the bus didn't come for twenty or so, and we had a long talk; it ranged over my social life, the philosophy Descartes, and unplanned pregnancies (don't ask).

Got to Lure Fish House (one of my favorite restaurants) at 12, a half-hour early, so strolled Main Street. Bought  some decorative boxes (I'm a sucker for things like that) then went back to Lure and met Noreen. We had a delightful lunch and she gave me a gift of fuzzy slippers--incredibly, mine are just about done for and I was on the verge of buying others--how fitting! As for lunch, we both had their incredible sand dabs, I an IPA, but what was best about it was a good, satisfying girl talk. With Noreen, there are no holds barred, which is such a relief; we just shared our ideas and feelings and with not a thought of censure or disapproval.

Said goodbye about 2:00 and bused home. I had barely gotten in when Vickie called to ask if I was home and could she stop over. Yes, sure, and she brought me a birthday card and box of chocolate-covered cheery sticks, the sweet thing. With her, too, I enjoyed a heart-to-heart--I'm lucky to have such friends.

Is the medical world whirling out of control? I got a voice mail from Primary Medical to call them, did so, and found that the letter that went out about my doctor leaving the practice was "a mistake" and she isn't really.  Okay, that's just as well, but what an error--did heads roll? They should have.

Ellen called after dinner and we made plans. Tomorrow, she'll pick me up, we'll go get a new microwave, then she and Greg will take me to dinner at Steven's. Greg works until 7:00, but that's fine by me; I'll just have a late lunch.  Also, I'll go to their place on Saturday (Christmas Eve) and stay over.

On Wednesday, 12/21

I slept late--unusual for me--and was awakened just now at 6:00, half-hour ago, by a PM audio call from son, Mike. He was at the Singapore Airport to pick up Paula and "wanted to be the first to wish me happy birthday."  Lovely.  After we hung up, I PM him that I wouldn't open presents until tomorrow, when I'll be with Ellen and Greg.

Speaking of whom: On Tuesday, when I talked with Ellen, I bemoaned the fact that I'd now be closer to ninety than eighty. She set me straight by saying, "No, you're just still in your middle eighties, as you have been." My good fortune in having such children is boundless!

No comments:

Julie picked me up at 9:15 and we went to the BCNN meeting. The program. by the owner of Otto & Sons Nursery in Fillmore, was on growing...