Friday, December 30, 2022

Thursday: Rain, Rent, And Mary

I spent the whole morning on paper work, then left to meet LaVonne for lunch. Walked over the footbridge to the Hill Street CafĂ©, so was glad to get at least a bit more than a mile in. But when I arrived--about 15 minutes early for our 1:00 lunch--I saw a sign on the door saying they were closed until January for renovations. Darn! I called LaVonne and left a message saying I'd wait next door at the library--but no, they didn't open until 2:00. Called again to say I'd look for somewhere to sit in the area. But she called me to say there were "problems" at home and did I mind if we didn't meet? Actually, I didn't mind so much, and told her it was okay, but to keep in touch. Yes, it rained, but it was that half-hearted California rain: a kind of passive drip, with one here, one over there, and I didn't even take my umbrella.  

From the library, I walked to Victoria and bused to the post office to mail the several letters I had brought with me. Had a quick lunch at home (by that time, it was after 2:00), followed by a stint at Von's. I filled my cart with with a fair amount of foodstuffs, including P.J. Chang's really good alfredo  chicken. Had some for dinner, and was that good. Just moseyed around the rest of the day.

I called Sharon and found she's still in the hospital, but will be moved to some kind of rehab facility where, I assume, they'll try to address the leg infection.  

Note: Wow, I'm really falling down on the job: I forgot to mention here earlier two items of importance: One, I got the official rent notice that, as of February 7, 2023, mine will increase by $136 per month.  I looked up the current rent for a one bedroom here and, incredibly, it's $504 more than what I pay now and will be $268 more when I sign the new yearly lease, which I'm pretty sure I'll do. I guess I should be pleased that the increase in my social security is almost exactly the same as the increase in my social security, but I'm not. However, this really won't have much impact on my life, so I'll just adjust my automatic payment and forget about it.  

The second piece of news is that Mary died yesterday, so Vickie's long ordeal is over and so is a highly significant part of her life.  

1 comment:

iloveac said...

Sorry to hear about Mary...please extend my condolences as I feel I know Vickie at some level via you.

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...