Tuesday, December 20, 2022

MONDAY: DISASTER DAY!

They say bad things or good things or plane crashes or whatever come in threes--in my case, we're talking fours. Okay, the first was only a big annoyance, but I'm including it:

1. Didn't get up until 6:15, about an hour late for me, but no prob since my Quest (bloodwork) appointment wasn't until 7:20, right across at Von's.  At 7:00, I glanced at my phone to be advised to  check in for my 7:10 appointment!  Yoicks, I still had my pajamas on! Dressed and rushed  out of the house, so got there just in time, but breathless. 

2. Home, I prepared my daily bowl of oatmeal. Popped it in the microwave and punched the "three minutes" button. Darn, when it beeped as finished, it wasn't even warm. Tried it and a few other things and found the microwave has given up the ghost. Darn, I so often prepare food, then pop it in the fridge or freezer, zapping it to defrost or rewarm when I want it. I need my microwave!

3. Scrubbed the double sinks and was dismayed when both filled with water. They finally drained, but then water started dripping out from under onto the floor. I called the office right away and two of the maintenance guys came over. It seems that a pipe, for some reason, was loose. Jose tightened it and it's okay now, but I had to take all the stuff under out and the containers they were in got wet, so I put them out on the patio to dry. 

4. The REAL disaster: I had been sent an invitation to a "A Townehouse Christmas" on Friday, December 23rd. They were going all out with prime rib, leg of lamb, mahi mahi, and lots of other chef-prepared yummies, plus, of course, cocktails, wine, and other drinks. I asked Jim if he wanted to go and he did, so we both put the date on our calendars. Since invitees were asked to R.S.V.P., I did, but AAGH!--I was told they had had to cancel because of an outbreak of COVID there. Damn, I hate to miss a party and The Townehouse gatherings are always great. 

Now that I'm reading this over, I can see these weren't disasters. I got my bloodwork done, the water/sink thing has been fixed, and I have plenty of other fun events coming up: Lunch with Noreen today, Santa Barbara lunch on Wednesday, then Christmas with Ellen and Greg, plus more planned for 2023. I do have to get a new microwave, but in the meantime, I can always use the oven and stovetop--it's not as if I can't have any hot food. And what if this had happened a day before when I had company? I had made the angel chicken in the slow cooker, then heated it for dinner in the microwave; it would have been a real disaster if I couldn't have done that. 

Aside from all that, I did a large load of  wash in the morning, then bused Wal-Mart, next Target to look at microwaves (I may just order one from Amazon), and ate at the nice park on Victoria. The weather was wonderful: In the sixties with no wind, sunny and with hardly a cloud in the sky. Ellen called and she'll take me to get a microwave sooner or later. Or maybe I'll ask Suzanne or Vickie to take me. Guess I could order one on-line, but at this time of year, I thought it would take an age.  Okay, I'll live with it--or without it. 

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Well, it sounds like it was a nightmare...one thing after the other. Glad you got things back in order before your BIG day which is sure to be special. Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy.

Mimi said...

Thanks, Pat--and yes, things have improved.

Julie picked me up at 9:15 and we went to the BCNN meeting. The program. by the owner of Otto & Sons Nursery in Fillmore, was on growing...