Monday, June 13, 2022

Sunday With Roger Ebert

Damn, I'm getting downright decadent!

It's true, I walked to Smart 'n' Final (coffee, acorn squash, and Chardonnay) in the morning, then back, so got three miles in. But after lunch...

...after lunch, I sat for three hours* and watched Life Itself, a documentary on Roger Ebert. Several years ago, I read his autobiography of the same name, and in my estimation, it was one of the best. I favor biographies maybe more than autos-; somehow, writing about oneself seems to bring out all the subtle and not-so-subtle pats on the back by the author. Ebert's was something different.

He was, of course, a superb writer, something that isn't always recognized, maybe because he was "just" a film critic. But his stuff was invariably thoughtful, insightful, and instilled with a sense of--well, life itself.   

Suzanne texted me to ask if I want to go to WinCo today and I need a few things, so I will. Ellen called on her way home from work--yes, it was Saturday, but she had a few more things to do. After the year-end teacher meeting today, she's off until the end of August--YAY!    

On my way yesterday, I took this right outside where I live on Telegraph Road. I love the look of the farmland and the hills:

*The only reason it took so long is because of the commercials. I know, I know, I can get Plex without them, but I don't like it enough to pay for it. Plex, however, seems to have the worse operation--the exact same commercial frequently runs three times in succession. I don't think there are any Weinersnitzel restaurants around here, but if there were and they were giving away free food, I'd run the other way.

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...