Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Monday

 Another full--and fun--day. Suzanne and I met outside our adjacent doors and took off for the Reagan Library at 9:00. Got there in less than an hour and had to wait a bit until it opened at 10:00. That was no problem, though, as we sat on comfortable benches among the lovely foliage and the spectacular views across the Simi Valley.

The exhibit--on World War II--was what I expected in some ways: Lots of worshipful praise for our heroes who sacrificed their lives for our freedoms and were, in every single human facet, far superior to those ugly monkeys, the Japanese, and even the Aryans, although they, at least, are white. Okay, it didn't actually say that, but the awed and adoring for "our boys" heavily implied it. 

However, there were plenty of interesting parts. Here's a fascinating one:

Incredibly, this kid was TWELVE years old when he enlisted in the navy. Later, he went into the marines. He married when he was fourteen and had his first child at fifteen. I hope his weird story can be read, if enlarged.

Another interesting story was "Maidenform And The Birds," which chronicles the story of carrier pigeons during the war. It seems a bra-type contraption was invented for paratroopers to hold the birds against them, then release them as they fell.

Anyway, it was okay, but I thought there were three notable omissions: 1. the very active peace movement and organizations of the time; 2, the chaplains of at least three three major religions; and 3. the home front, including the scarcity of gas and metal, plus rationing of food. 

We had lunch before we left and some good conversation, about the war, wars in general, and less charged topics. Home about 2:15, which suited me fine. I changed from jeans into shorter pants and bused to town. Called Ellen and I'll take a bus to Ojai today and the Access Van home. She told me it'll be over 90 there today, so to call her when I get to Von's and she'll pick me up and drive us the mile to her place. Just strolled around and enjoyed it.  

Home by five and was waiting for Paula to pick me up for rehearsal at 6:45. (Add got info from boa)

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...