Thursday, June 16, 2022

Betty, Anthony, And First Rehearsal

I got the 9:43 am bus to Santa Barbara, then an SB city bus to Alamar Street. It was so simple and I was pleased to see a bus stop on the other side of State Street that would take me right back to the transit center. From there, it's only a block to the place where the bus back to Ventura comes int.

Got to Villa Alamar about 11:30, to find Betty in the recreation room with others, while "Don" led them through some chair exercises. Several attendees were sound asleep, including Betty. I sat next to her, but didn't wake her.  I quipped back and forth with Don, a nice guy and about the age of most of the residents. I continue to be intrigued with Jan, an attractive blonde, surely no older than her forties. She seems completely and perfectly normal, so I wonder why she's there. Betty awoke, but she, of course, wasn't "there" in the other sense. Whether she was surprised to see me or not, is hard to say, since she has become so robotic.

When the program was over, it was lunchtime. An aide and I guided Betty into the lunch room--even with the walker, she's very unsteady on her feet--and I asked if I could buy lunch for myself. I was told there was no need, and I was brought the same lunch as the residents. This consisted of canned string beans, a small mound of salad (certainly the kind you buy in a bag) and a chicken patty. Actually, I thought the patty was pretty good, although maybe that's because I was hungry. Betty, however, barely picked at the food; later, an aide and I fed her some, but I'm afraid it's a lost cause.

After, we sat in the atrium for a bit, then went into the rec room again. Several residents were in there, including "Rick" who clearly thought he was in charge of the facility. He was directing people where to sit--they paid no attention--and when I was about to leave, protested it wasn't time yet. I said something or other to placate him and made my escape.

Got a bus almost immediately back to the transit center, but had to wait a half hour for the one back to Ventura. On my way there, I got a text from Shannon, of Fractured Actors, asking if I could come for a reading at 7:00. I was a little annoyed at such short notice--it was already 3:30--but decided not to get into a snit and texted back I would go. 

Had a quick bite, then took off for the 21 bus, then the 11 bus, then a walk to Palma Street. I was pleased to see some of my old buddies from the Speakeasy show, including Anthony Contreaes, who gave me a big hug. We're all thrilled to know he has a part in an upcoming Netflix called Web of Make Believe: Death, Lies, and the Internet. He said he was in the first episode--I'm not sure if he gets bumped off or not. And what a neat guy he is: just as full of joie de vivre as he looks:   

 Also met a newcomer, Paula, whom I like a lot. She took me home and said she'd pick me up tonight.

But as for the script and, in particular, my part: I'm debating whether to tell Shannon at rehearsal tonight that I'm going to pull out. It's really very small--two single lines and two longer speeches at the end of the short--and frankly, not very funny--playlet. 

We sat in a circle and started off with that one, Interstellar Galactic Management, LLC. The other four plays were much longer and generally, more amusing. Some of the actors were very, very good, but the one who, for some inexplicable reason, was given the part for which I auditioned--was truly lousy. I know Meryl Streep isn't shaking in her boots at my acting, but hey--I'm was a helluva lot better than she was. (Sour grapes? Damn right.)   

1 comment:

iloveac said...

If she is so bad perhaps Shannon could switch you and her. Hmmm. Maybe U could somehow say something to Shannon that will make that happen. Just sayin... as the saying goes.

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...