Wednesday, June 08, 2022

Sad News

 When my phone rang about 7:30 and I saw it was Larry, I knew why he was calling. His beloved wife, my dear sister-in-law, Helen, had died. It had been very clear for months, if not a year or more, that she would be departing this world before long--but it's always a shock and a sorrow. I cried and he cried. 

I put this on my blog when I visited Larry and Helen in November of last year:

--With my dear sister-in-law, Helen, fading away from this life, both physically and mentally. But that smile--it lights up the room.--

Larry told me that any memorial or ceremony would be "later." I don't know for sure, but maybe Helen will be cremated--that seems to be the trend. Larry asked if I'd tell Betty and Frank; I said I would, but didn't mention that I thought they might not grasp it--or remember who she was--so I called nieces, Carolyn and Franciine. I have so many memories of Helen,  including when she and Larry were just going together. We were all thrilled when they married those many years ago--about 65, I think. Time is a thief.

I called niece, Joan, also, but one of Larry's daughters had already notified her, as she also lives in Florida. Later, Joan called me to discuss the diary of her mother and my sister, Gene. She was very concerned that I might show it to someone else. I assured her I hadn't and I won't. 

Other than that, Suzanne came over to ask if I wanted to go to the Reagan Library to see the WWII exhibit. She thought that, since I'm a pacifist, I might not want to, but yes, I do. It's history, after all, it happened and is, in fact, an interesting subject. I'll treat, including lunch, as this will be my retirement gift to her. Took the time to plant both the pretty "Orange Bell" Ellen had given me and the plumeria stalk I had gotten at the BCNN meeting.
  
I went to my doctor's appointment at 1:30, via the Access Van, as I need a referral to a dermatologist (or I don't need it--not sure which). Dr. L. also wants me to get a blood test so she can look at my platelet count, which has been low, I guess. Bused home and didn't get lunch until almost 3:00.

I called my friend, Pat, in Jersey, and we had a good long talk. I don't know why I thought she had known Helen--just because they were both R.N.s?--but was glad I had called. Our conversation helped to raise my spirits, as it ranged over men, including her friend, Jack, my friend, Jim, and the problems with those pesky creatures; her efforts to pull together a Christmas show; my scripts and shows; various physical/medical topics; and SEX! 😜 Well, I won't go there...

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
It was good to be with you on the phone. I am sorry about Helen. It's a little part of you...your time with her. We always know it's going to happen but when it does...it hurts.

BTW...I suggest you google foods to eat to increase your platelets. I found it interesting. You may be able to get by simply with food. Thanks for those great tips for putting together a script. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Mimi said...

And thank YOU, Pat, for the platelet/food suggestion. I'm going to look it up now.

Monday

Washed sheets, changed the bed, showered and washed my hair before breakfast. Ate, then fussed around with this and that. I paid the water b...