Thursday, April 29, 2021

Valley of The Moon *

 Had a good, active day. After breakfast--for the kitties and me--I left for the bus stop (1.3 miles) and got the 9:28. Rode it to the transit center, arriving at about 10:15, then got the 10 home and walked in at close to 11:00. Immediately took a shower. Ellen has two, but I'm still a little apprehensive about a "strange" shower, although I may try it in a day or two. Anyway, as long as I was home, I thought why not. I then packed up some more suitable clothes; it had been quite chilly when I got here, but today is in the eighties. I hadn't bargained for that, although I should have. 

At lunch, I had my usual big salad and packed another bunch of romaine, plus grapes and tangerines, in the small cooler. Also packed up additional reading glasses and a few other items. All fit in my trusty little cart, which I'The city was renamed Ojai, a Chumash word meaning “the Nest” or Valley of the Moon, when the name Nordhoff was deemed too German post-World War I. The main turning point in the development of the city was the coming of Edward Drummond Libbey. He saw the valley and fell in lom so glad to have with me now. Bused back and got to El's about 4:00, after stopping at Von's for paper towels. As soon as I got in, I put the AC on. Boy, did that feel good. 

I called Jim and we chatted a bit. His birthday is today and sometime later, I'll take him out to lunch to celebrate. Had a good Bistro MD (several of which El had left), then she called. Greg doing okay, but is tired and no wonder. El herself had plenty to do: Besides getting Greg out and otherwise caring for him, she had to get her third-graders' report cards done. Also, she had to guide her mentally-challenged mother on how to work the television and overhead fan.

*That's what "Ojai" means in the language of its earliest residents, the Chumash native Americans, but it was originally called "Nordoff." Interestingly, it was changed fairly recently. Here's the info from a hotel website: 

"The city was renamed "Ojai," a Chumash word meaning 'the Nest' or 'Valley of the Moon,' when the name 'Nordhoff' was deemed too German in post-World War I."


No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...