Saturday, February 09, 2019

T.O.P.S.

Walked Kimball in chilly, but not unbearably cold, weather. Home, changed, then left for T.O.P.S. I thought I had gained and I did, but I'm still within my "zone" of 125-130 (barely, at 130), but I know I'll get back down next time, so no prob.
The meeting was formless as ever. Coleen had signed up to do the program, but couldn't find her material or something. She is schizophrenic, paranoid, or manic-depressive (or all three) and is now seeing people who aren't there. I discussed this with her and suggested her meds might need to be adjusted. She has already consulted her primary doctor, psychiatrist, social worker, and maybe the milkman, so I think she's okay for now. Our secretary, Lora, was out, so I volunteered to take the minutes. Did so while several members showed articles, such as the importance of sleep, and we read paragraphs from them. Ho-hum, but we finally got through it and broke up at 10.
Breakfast, then niece Carolyn called and we had a long talk. Went out to get a plethora of veggies and fruits and spent the morning on prep (roasted tomatoes and onions, salad fixings, and so on). Lunch, then town and I was so glad to get back to my usual "loop walk." Stopped at the library to return the Bing Crosby book (I'll take out the next volume, The War Years, today) and at the post office to send off Valentine cards to the Orient, which WILL be late, damn it.
Caught the bus home and cooked up a yummy dinner of swordfish, fresh spinach, and sauteed mushrooms.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I'm beginning to think there are some people living here with diagnosed or maybe undiagnosed mental problems. Living in such close quarters and seeing and listening to some people, many of their stories don't add up. It's amazing...I used to think (in my youth) that all mentally ill people talked crazy all the time and you could easily recognize them....not so. As my mother used to say something like "all the world except thee and me and sometimes me wonders about thee". LOL.

BTW, I think you are brave going to those meetings. I hated WW meetings and found I could do the program online. I guess it does help to get weighed in...but one of my sisters in law used to be running a TOPS program. It sounded more like a social club for the ladies. That's fine, but I couldn't stand the programs.

Loved your comment about the woman who has seen ...."maybe even the Milkman".

Mimi said...

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the residents have what you suggest; I'm afraid the age thing would indicate that. As for the meetings: I have the idea this particular chapter is just very "loose." The leader, Lennie, is a nice person, but has little understanding of how to run a meeting, guide members, or shut up the talkers without offending. As for Lolly, the acting leader, she had been leader when I first joinged, but it seems you can't be that for more than three years running. It's weird that she just never pulls members back to the reason we're there; so often, people go off in tangents or start telling about the cute things their grandchildren so (does that ring a bell, Patti?) until I want to slap them silly. However, it's good for me to get weighed at the same time with the same scale and I do, even with all the above, like the other members. I know people in other T.O.P.S. chapters and their meetings, from what I've been told, are much more structured and include pertinent programs--so it's just the luck of the draw, I guess.

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...