Thursday, February 21, 2019

Earle Stanley Gardner

Yesterday, I did something I've never done before: I drove to Kimball, started my walk, and turned back after a few yards to drive home, it was so damn cold. Windy, too.*
Did a wash after breakfast, then went out for lettuce and other produce. Stopped at the bank for money exchange). I need ten quarters for the wash and twelve for Santa Barbara, as well as two dollar bills, plus two fives for the van.
Forgot to mention I had called my brother, Jim, on Monday for his 93rd birthday. He sounded pretty good and I enjoyed talking to him so much, I called my other two brothers after that: Frank in Alameda and Larry in Florida. Yes, I know how lucky I am.
Showered, changed, and got to Pacific for Happy Hour at 4:00, Carolyn already there. It was enjoyable; maybe not as much fun as when Diane and Nancy are with us, but good, anyway. We stayed until about 5:30, then she left and I waited outside for the van. It came promptly, as promised, at 5:49, and off we went to Oxnard.
Got there in time for refreshments, a nice spread of cocktail meatballs, cheese and crackers, fruit, and little cream puffs. There was a cash bar and I had a glass of Chardonnay.
The talk on Earle Stanley Gardner was terrific. The creator of Perry Mason was an attorney himself and first practiced law in San Francisco. Later, he moved to Ventura and Oxnard, until he succumbed to Hollywood fever and moved south. For some time in Ventura, he had a partner named Fred Orr. That  law firm is still here, Fred's son being one of the partners. Much of his Perry Mason/Della Street mysteries were based on his own practice, which included close ties to the Chinese community. Interestingly, he also wrote hundreds of short stories, according to Richard Senate, the speaker. and he didn't actually type or hand write any of works. He spoke them aloud and a typist put them down. For some reason, that amazes me more than anything else. I can't imagine doing that.
The van came at 8:15 and I was pleasantly surprised to see Ce-Ce, whom I've had before, was the driver. We had a lively talk on the way home about family and religion. Anyway, it was a full, interesting day, and I enjoyed it immensely.
*I didn't walk this morning either. I knew I'd stay up late (for me) and decided to skip. I'm not worried about it and will resume shortly.

No comments:

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...