Friday, February 22, 2019

Toastmasters

No Kimball, as I slept late. I got a  lot of financial crapola and other boring stuff done early. I took the bath and hall rugs to the laundry to wash, then spread them on the patio chairs to dry while I mopped the hard surfaces in the place.
Drove to the bank, then to Von's for Romaine. As I was getting in the car to leave, I saw Carol F. pulling up. She saw me, too, we screamed, then fell into each other's arms. Carol and I hadn't seen each other for about a year. I had met her at SCAN (now closed) and she was in both my acting classes. She came to my eightieth birthday party and we used to go to Dr. Wordling's lectures at The Townehouse. We were also both in Beach Cities Neighbors and Newcomers. However, things changed, we lost touch, and I developed a new group of friends. Yesterday, though, we stood in the parking lot and talked and talked. Carol's husband has full-blown Alzheimer's and she's his caregiver. I met him a few years ago and he was plenty odd then. We then decided we'd go out to lunch on Thursday. I'll call her today to confirm.
Called for an appointment at the podiatrist and damn, he had nothing open until April 5. I hope I can hold out until then. Lunched, caught a bus to town and walked a short one, but it was getting late and I had Toastmasters, so I didn't stay long. After a quick and sketchy dinner (frankfurter "coins" and scrambled eggs), I dressed and took off.
It was okay, although pretty formless, almost as bad as T.O.P.S., which I have to  endure shortly. I  gave my Art Comes Alive talk, which went over well and brought a copy of the Willearts picture. We sat in a semi-circle, a good arrangement for a small group, and John C. sat next to me. We started chatting before the meeting and he told me he's been diagnosed with a blood problem that seems to be kind of a gateway to Leukemia. I was sorry to hear it.
Didn't get home until after 9:00, but slept well, and will now dress and take off for Kimball.

No comments:

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...