Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Poinsettia Toastmasters

Walked Kimball and was pleased it was warmer and less windy. After the usual morning meal and chores, I went to WinCo for fajitas. These are cooked chicken strips, frozen, that I put in my salad every day. (My regimen dictates protein at every meal.) I was dismayed the last time I looked when they didn't have any. However, I inquired at the office and was assured they were just out and would get more in. They did--yay.
Stopped at another store and got two pretty miniature rose bushes and two Roma tomato plants. I haven't planted them yet, but spruced up the patio a bit and will put them in soon.
Since I had committed to Poinsettia Toastmasters at 6:30 pm, I didn't go in to town. I actually took a short nap instead, then went to the Dollar Tree for an umbrella. They were still out. I already have one, but like to keep another in the car.
Changed for Toastmasters and arrived at Dudley House at 6:30. I was surprised and pleased when a number of the members I had known before greeted me with hugs, including Tony, Christine, Sue, and Denise.
The meeting itself was okay, but I think I made the right choice to leave and just go on with Humor & Drama. There were two entries in the "tall tales" contest--something about the world's best surfer and a basketball yarn--both, it seemed to me, singularly devoid of creative content. Cece had asked me to be the third judge for this, along with Denise and Jim, but I can't imagine why, as there were ballots for the audience. I think she just got confused or something.
Another puzzling thing, re Cece (she's president of this club): Before the meeting, she asked if I'd be agreeable to paticipatation in inprov. Well, sure, and she gave me two papers, one setting up the scenario and other listing "what not to say" and "what to say." Weird, because improv is supposed to have the improvisoers improvising--they don't get alerted ahead of time, the idea being to have them think on their feet. What's more, when she called me up, she gave me an entirely different hypothetical situation. It was no problem for me and I got some laughs, but I'm still wondering about it.
The regular talks consisted of two fifteen-minute snoozers,* one  on maritial arts, one on "verbal judo." I managed to stay awake, but just barely. It was over at 8:00, I rushed off, and settled down at home with my blueberries and Frazier. 
* I tend to agree with the axiom I heard years ago: "No speech should be longer than ten minutes, unless it's very important. Then it should be no longer than five minutes."    

1 comment:

iloveac said...

I totally agree. This past Sunday the Deacon told us he had 3 different homilies he could use and he asked us which one we wanted. I answered "the short one". He laughed and agreed.

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...