Tuesday, February 05, 2019

Lousy Day

If yesterday wasn't the worst day of my life, it came close.
Left Betty's to get the city bus to the SB Library, where I'd catch the 10:30 SB to Ventura bus--I thought--as I've gotten it there before. Got off and saw the sign said it left at 8:32 and the next one wasn't until 2 something. Took another bus to get to the transit station.
You have to have exact change and I had only two fives--put one in the change machine and it returned four quarters. What the--! Had to get the change and a request for reimbursement form from the clerk, then rush a block away for the bus. Got to Ventura without incident and caught the city number 6 .
Home, I had lunch, then gathered up my props, which include a large basket and other items, for rehearsal. Showered and dressed, then went out to wait for the Access van. No reason to take my umbrella, as the sky was a lovely blue...(ha!).
Uh-huh. Bus came with one other person on it (I was pleased that Ce-Ce, a young woman I've had before, was the driver) and off we went. It seemed to me it was the long way to get to Oxnard, but I was early for 4:30 rehearsal, anyway, so no prob. Unfortunately, it started coming down in sheets during the ride. However, I was dropped off, early, in fact. Saw Connie, others came in and we helped set up chairs in a semi-circle.
There were about 20 attendees, all in costume and looking good. Connie introduced herself, then me, saying I taught acting to adults, and would be helping her critique. I was sitting near the end of the semi-circle and was pleased I had remembered to turn off my phone. I was also glad to see the wall clock almost directly opposite me, so I could keep tabs on the time (the van was scheduled to pick me up at 6:00).
Participants went on one-by-one, with Connie and me occasionally mentioning some suggestions to improve. About half--maybe more--read their scripts; I, of course, already knew mine, although I hadn't had time over the last four days to rehearse. When it was finally time for me to do my little shtick, I confidently got up with my basket and said "Who-dan-dach, (goodday), I am Anke (Un-ja) DeJong (Deyawl)..."
...and the rest of my talk went completely out of my head. Was I embarrassed? More than I've been in years. However, I apologized, explained I'd had a stressful week, and sat down. I know I'll retain it for the actual event, but boy, I wanted to crawl under the rug.
 By the time we finished, the clock on the wall said ten of six, but that was okay--the van would be waiting. But it wasn't.  Looked at my phone and saw I had had a text, telling me it would be there in 14 minutes--but this was sent about 5:45 when my phone was off.  I now realized not only had I failed to see  it, but it was 6:40; clearly, the museum clock was wrong. So there I was, in the dark and rain, without a ride home.  However, that didn't worry me; I knew somebody was probably going to Ventura and, if worse came to worst, I could call Uber or Lyft. It turned out that my friend, Lynn, from Dudley House, was about to drive off and offered to drive me home.  I accepted, but on the way, decided to join the widder group for our regular monthly dinner at Stone Fire Grille, so I could give them flyers about the Art Comes Alive thing. I knew somebody would drive me home from there. Lynn dropped me off, drove away, I went in, and--
--my group wasn't there. I called Nancy and she said it had been our lunch gathering, not dinner. Oh, great, and now it had started to pour, again.  I was dressed in my long-skirted fisher wife outfit and was carrying a large basket with artificial fish in it.
Yeah, it should have been funny, but somehow, I failed to see the human, as it was now after 7:00, teeming rain, and I was exhausted. I started out to get the bus, but couldn't face it, knowing I and my props would be drenched by the time I took two buses, then walked two and a half blocks to get home. I finally called Suzanne--if there is a god, she'll sit on his right hand, if not in his lap--and she came out and picked me up.
One last thing: After I had settled in with Frazier, I realized my purse wasn't with me. Searched frantically, then had to tap on Suzanne's door and ask her to look in her car. She went out and found I had left it there.
Okay, now I have to get ready for my doctor's appointment at 7:15. Today has GOT to be better than yesterday!

2 comments:

iloveac said...

OH Rosemary....that was awful. Just when you think the worst has happened ...POW!....but you made it.
I know I'm not supposed to laugh but visualizing you in your fishmonger outfit and the real looking fish in your basket did make me laugh.
Today will be better...it has to be.

Mimi said...

Pat, I LOVE your comment! You put all my silly travail into perspective--it WAS funny, or at least it is in retrospect. Thanks--and yes, today will be better: meeting Nancy to see "Mary, Queen of Scots," then to The Cave for our Chardonnay--YAY!

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...