Thursday, October 27, 2022

Wednesday And Dudley House

Walked to the library over the footbridge to pick up--yes, another book. This is Bright-Sided, How The Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America. I know I read it when it came out, thirteen years ago, but wanted to again.

From there, I walked to The Market, then Wal-Mart for this and that. I found a drapery rod for a quarter of what I paid at Lowe's for one, so will take that back. Couldn't find several of the items I wanted--and this is happening more and more frequently. It's starting to look like a third-class country and what now?

Jim called to ask if I have the app for Smart 'n' Final on my phone. Yes, sure, and he wants me to use it to get some "coupons" for some grocery items.  I explained that these are digital "coupons"; you don't present a piece of paper, just your phone. Since he doesn't have a cell phone, I told him I'd scan the codes and go with him to buy the stuff or get them myself (three bottles of apple juice) and he can reimburse me. Also told him I'd give him my old Cricket phone; this time, he seemed interested. (But first, I have to find it.)

Ellen called on her way home from work. I was pleased to hear the shower she arranged for Michelle, her partner teacher, went well and everyone enjoyed it. I called Diane to see if she wanted to meet for lunch today and yes--I'll see her at the Urbane CafĂ© at noon. 

The Dudley House docent covered dish: As ever, I had a good time. There were noticeably fewer attendees than in the pre-COVID years, but I saw a lot of old acquaintances, including Jan, who brought Halloween-themed appetizers:

Ha, I brought two of them home!
Lorraine, the "dog mom" (note hat) was there. Chatted with her and learned she had buried two
husbands, but happily, still has four-legged "Mollie." She is a descendent (great-great granddaughter?) of the original Dudleys:

Sheri, who is the chair (or president, or high muckety-muck) of the group, conducted a short meeting in her inimitable style.  Her dressing style is also inimitable; here she is with Jim last night:
I'm always bemused by the hair. It's surely a wig, but somehow, it suits her. BTW, that's a good picture of Jim; I'll email it to him. 

Connie K. did her usual historic talk of Ventura personages of the past. This time, she impersonated Orpha Foster, wife of the Foster who founded the Foster Library here. Coincidentally, I was there on  Tuesday. Here's Connie--love the hat!
 
Docent director Lynne was there with her ever-present sign-up sheet and I committed to working at the Christmas boutique on December 11, from 3 to 5. Before we left, I told Ken, Sheri's husband, I'd take a poster to display somewhere--may ask the library to put it up or put it in my window, as I did the Area 22 poster:
Anyway, it was much fun. Didn't get home until almost 10:00 or to bed an hour after that, but I slept well.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Good picture of Jim.

Mimi said...

Thanks, Pat.

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...