Sunday, October 09, 2022

"Journey of the Skeletons," The Latinx Experience

Early On: Walking to Smart 'n' Final for blueberries, I thought I should have taken my lunch to eat at Kimball Park. No prob, though, I just bought those little tuna salad/crackers container and a drink and headed for the park. I had forgotten how far it was--I thought it was about a half mile, but it was a lot more than that. It took me over several streets and the freeway, then I had to transverse the park itself. However, I made it and enjoyed eating my lunch on a bench while watching the school soccer games going on.

Later and the Show: Bused home and showered and washed my hair in preparation for the play Anthony's in Journey of the Skeletons. The Access Van picked me up fearfully early, so when I got there, the theatre wasn't even open yet. However, I strolled around until it did. Saw Anthony on his way in.

I chatted with the director/producer, Juliana Acosta, and mentioned I'd like to send her some of my scripts. She said she's like to see some and now I have to decide if I want to send to her first, then Shannon; possibly, I'll do both, although Elite already has its 2023 winter schedule set.

House opened at 7:30 and I greeted and sat with Becky. I'm a little sorry I did, as her loud cackle was enough to send me up the wall. Soon, Amy and her family, Erica with hers, and Jeff, Shannon, Hudson, and Harper, came in, along with Ben, who's been staying with them.   

The show opened with a woman made up for The Day of the Dead. She did a kind of song/dialog medley and sang a number of Spanish songs with explanatory notes. She was really good.   


At intermission, I chatted with her and asked to take another picture:

The play part of the show started off a little slow, I thought, but developed later into an engaging romp concerning the desire of the mother-in-law to be remembered after she's dead.  I won't go into the full plot, but here's Anthony with his "family":

Anyway, it was good, although I was surprised that the set was almost as rudimentary as ours are in Fractured Actors. After, I spoke to Ben; told him I'd see him at The Coalition, where he works in town. He'll be there only until November 7; after that, he'll resume his walk across America. Yes, he actually is doing that, having walked from California to Texas a few years ago. 

Access Van got me home, but not until--gasp!--after 11:15. I hadn't had dinner, so ate some tuna fish and crackers with garlic spread, then turned in. Unfortunately, I woke up at 5:30 and got up, but I hope will be able to nap sometime today.

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...