Thursday, October 06, 2022

TWENTY YEARS AGO!

Didn't sleep very well, but I figured I got in seven hours, so that's okay.  I did this and that in the morning, then took off for The Market and Wal-Mart. I had packed my lunch, as I've enjoyed doing lately and ate at the little park on Victoria Avenue. Bused from there to the mall and got some IPA at BevMo. While I was walking out, I was delighted to get a call from Diane, who is just back from a month in Mexico. Her sister lives there and so did Diane with her ex, although they're not Mexican, but of Bulgarian descent; for business reasons, I think. Anyway, Diane invited me to lunch at her place today and I was happy to accept. 

When I got home, I continued scanning the pictures from my retirement party, which took place TWENTY YEARS AGO!  Here are just a few:

In my office before the party. Standing, brother Jim, SIL Therese, Pat; seated, Betty and me.

My guests, this group is all family, walking from my office in the Library building to the all-purpose room in the Student Center, where the party was held.  From left front: brother Jim, cousin Dorothy, SIL Therese; behind: me, top of daughter, Alison's head, grandson Joel, SIL Mike, husband Pat.  

What? You will? 
Starting at left and circling around the table: Alison, her husband, Mike, Pat, SIL Therese, my dear friend, Elaine Millen, granddaughter-in-law Jen, grandson. Also present, but not seen: Joel, Jr, who would be born three months later. Besides Elaine, there were other friends there, including Stan and Doris Friedman and--I think, not sure--Doris Goodenough and Marilyn Machmer, both of whom had worked at Rider, but moved on.
Me with Shirley Turner, my former boss in Career Development; Mike and Pat at table.

Top: Dave Perry, HR systems person and me; bottom, Terry Marriott, my secretary. I emailed Dave and called Terry yesterday; she's now an assistant director in Admissions, having gotten her bachelor's and master's degrees at Rider while employed. When I'm in Jersey next month, we'll go to lunch. Dave emailed me right back and I sent him some pics. He actually has a masters in organ from Westminster Choir College, in Princeton, which Rider owned for a time (I had an office there, besides the one in Lawrenceville). A really terrific guy.

My boss, Ellen LaCorte, me, assistant vice-president for finance, Bill--oops, can't remember his last name, but he was a very nice young man. He had some parties at his house and I remember his wife collecting Disney memoribilia--why anybody would want to, I can't imagine.

Vice President for Finance Julie Karns extolling my virtues. 
My direct boss, Ellen LaCorte outdoing Julie (HA!).

Me speaking my thanks and appreciation for a wonderful career.

At home after the party, l.to r.: cousin Dorothy, Betty, Therese, Jim.
At home after party: Pat and balloons.

Me a few days later, in the seat in the Rider Theatre which was dedicated to me, a wonderful gift. Below is the engraved plaque that was put on the seat; unfortunately, the inscription is blurred. (I know my name's on the first line.) When I'm back in Jersey next month, I want to go and see if it's still there--and also, take a better picture.


💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

Well, I'm lucky to have worked there for 27 years. Do I regret that? No, no, not at all.  Do I wish to go back? For a visit, sure, as I hope to soon. To stay? Never in a million years. 

2 comments:

iloveac said...

So good to visit these photos. Reminisce and pat yourself on the back. Fulfilling career and so many people with whom you shared your life. Quite, very, big-time impressive Rosemary to have a seat dedicated to you. Wow!

Mimi said...

Thanks, Pat! It was a great place to work. BTW, I heard back from Dave Perry, on which I'll elaborate shortly.

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...