Friday, October 07, 2022

Thursday

I left my place at 10:00; walked to Telephone Road, took the 11 bus to Petit Street, then walked the half-mile or so to Silvercrest. I was a little early, but found Diane waiting for me outside. Here's my glamorous friend, a mere kid who turned eighty last week:


She and I chatted for a bit, then walked to the building next to the residence for a (free) buffet lunch. It included chicken salad sandwiches, apple fritters, flavored water, and a variety of desserts. I took watermelon, cantaloupe, and melon chunks and, naughtily, some caramel rollups. After, we went up to Diane's apartment and indulged in a nice Chardonnay. 

Unfortunately, Diane said her neuropathy has worsened  and she's pretty down about it. I understand there isn't much--or anything, I guess--to stop its progression. We did have a good talk and, at her urging, I recited the prize-winning Heart's Desire cowgirl verse, plus some dialog from a few of my plays. I had brought her a lime and a large lemon from Ellen's tree, both frozen, and she was pleased with them. I left about 3:00 and took the 11 bus to the transit center, then the 21 home.

Dave Perry emailed me back and filled in some of the names of colleagues I couldn't remember--Bill Roell was the young assistant VP.  He also mentioned Debbie Farris, payroll head, who was a special friend of his--I liked her a lot, too--and Charlie Kahil. He said Mona Marder, benefits manager, was at the party; I just didn't get a picture of her. My nephew, Tim, saw the pics on Facebook and thought he reconized himself in a picture. But he wasn't there--the back of Joel's head just looked like him.

Here are my (left) and Suzanne's (right) doors, decked out for the season:


I also spruced up the space on my side with skeletons: 

When I went out to take this picture, Suzanne opened her door. She had told me that Sister Carmen would be staying over with her, as she was to attend a great-nephew's wedding on Saturday. I was introduced to Carmen and chatted with her for a bit. Now I have a dilemma: Shall I address the visiting Sister as "Sister" Carmen or, as with Suzanne, simply use her given name? The first creates a definite distance between humans, but the second could be seen as a lack of respect.  

I called Ellen as she was driving home from work just to say hello. Greg left for Colorado on Wednesday, where he'll visit with his son and little granddaughter. I think he'll be back Monday.

Called Jim and invited him for lunch today, rather than on tomorrow, Saturday, when I'm going to Anthony's play at the Elite in Oxnard. It's at 8:00, fer cryin' out loud, practically the middle of the night! I email Anthony asking when it would be over and he said about 10:15. Must call the Access Van to arrange for going and coming home. 

2 comments:

iloveac said...

I would think if Sister Carmen is introduced as Sr. Carmen, I'd call her by that name. If, as Carmen, call her Carmen.

Mimi said...

I absolutely agree, Pat, but I don't quite remember how Suzanne introduced her. I think I'll use the title to address her (if I see her again) and will certainly use it to refer to her when I talk with Suzanne.

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...