Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Teeth Travail

Having checked over the plan books for Blue Shield, I found that the HMO would be much more financially advantageous for me than the PPO plan, so I determined to change to that. Got an application on-line and filled it out. I couldn't get it to send electronically, so I walked to the P.O. and sent it, with proof of delivery form.

As scheduled, I met at 10 with Angie, the office manager/billing supervisor at Johnson Family Dental. Without going into the complete this, that, and who-struck-John, what transpired was:

1. Angie told me Johnson isn't in the HMO, only the PPO;

2.  gave me the name and number of a dentist father-and-son who are and do deep sedation

3.  said she would refund the $4780 I had already paid for the implants;

4. I left and when I got home, called the dentist duo. No, they aren't in the HMO;

5. talked to 16,000 people at Blue Shield and got names of some who are;

6. went on the website and printed out the ten pages of dentists who are in the HMO located within 25 miles of me; 

7. found Dr. Saadat's name on four of the offices. Called and made an appointment with him for November 24;

8. was called later to say the office takes HMO, but Dr. S. may not;

9. was told  he would call me himself.

10. got a text at 8:00 pm, adding to the confusion, as person thought I wanted to make an appointment at the L.A. office;

11. Finally, Dr. S. called me himself--at 9:00 pm, just as I was getting ready for bed. I told him my concerns--financial and that I needed to go the HMO route--and we talked. He said we could work this out and he'll talk to one of the Ventura dental groups and see what he can do. 

I had seen Dr. Saadat, who's an oral surgeon in January during my first visit to Johnson Dental. It seems he hops around from one place to another. His major office is in L.A. and I'm not going there. So, I hope to find out straight from the horse's mouth that I can use HMO.

I did manage to get to Von's before lunch and walk to the market (3 mi.) after, as daily exercise is essential for me. 

I received a nice letter from Marge's daughter, Sharon. She wasn't sure Fred had told me the sad news, but of course, he had, the day after Marge died. I'll write her back.


1 comment:

iloveac said...

RBM,
I'm surprised an insurance claim would kick in before a waiting period. They like to get some premiums paid first. The whole Health Care/Dental Care system is a big PITA. I paid cash for my implants. That's another thing...I believe 'implants' are the latest (last 10 years) for Dentists to make money. Make sure your periodontist is certified. Lots of general dentists are taking courses to learn this. Even my guy (General Dentist) can now do uncomplicated implants. I used a periodontist and it was time-consuming but no problem with local anesthesia. I had sedation for deep cleaning a long time ago and that was quite nice.
Not to butt in...but hey, why not? I'd get that basal cell removed first.

Saturday

Instead of taking my usual sandwich when I meet Diane for lib lunch, I made a salad. Walked over the footbridge, dropped the book off at the...