Sunday, November 15, 2020

Betty, BOGO, And Baskets

Got a call from niece, Carolyn, and had a good chat. She straightened out the thing about the Natural CafĂ© on Thursday; it's actually just that where Betty lives, the management usually gives a Thanksgiving party. This time, they'll leave the food at the door a week early.

I ran over to Von's because they had a BOGO sale on Brussels sprouts. Mostly, I want to do my own trimming, scrubbing, and cutting (I often say, "I want my vegetables to have dirt on them," meaning in the figurative sense: I want them fresh, not packaged or "prepared.") However, I'm changing my mind about Brussels sprouts. These were big, beautifully halved, and all ready to put in the oven for one of my favorites roasted veggies. I just added some olive oil and garlic powder, and oh, mama, were they good. I accompanied them with shrimp--raw, of course, I never buy cooked--which I just defrosted under cold water, and stir-fried quickly in--yes, olive oil.

Got a call from Ellen, which is always welcome. She asked if I'd like her to come over for lunch in the middle today and oh, of course, I would, so she'll be here before 1:00. Spent a lot of time on paper/financial work re the dental thing, preparing to meet Angie on Tuesday. Damn, I hate it--I wish I still had a secretary (not that Terry M. ever did my personal work).

After lunch, I intended to bus to town, as I haven't been there for awhile. However, when I got to the transit center, I remembered that the thrift shop across the street is open on Saturday from 12 to 4. This is a small, very high-end shop, with lots of neat stuff, and staffed by volunteers. It benefits families and children with problems and I've always liked it. I went in and, wouldn't you know, found three nice rectangular baskets--not for gifts or Easter, but for organizing and storage. I think I'll use them to organize the towels in the linin closet. Scuttling my plans for town, I got them home--awkward, but doable on the bus--then took my cart and walked over the footbridge to the park and the little lending library, taking the two books I had borrowed and read months ago. I was a bit disappointed in the offerings, but took one book. (With this sojourn and to and from the bus earlier, I got in roughly four miles.)

Note: In contrast to the situation in the U.S., here's the lowdown from son Mike:

There have been essentially zero cases within the Singapore community for the past month or two but there have been about 50 cases in the last month from people flying in. Everyone is isolated upon arrival for 14 days so none of the cases have infected others. There are, however, about 25 people in hospital overall - none serious.  Someone died in June.  

No comment.


No comments:

Sunday

The Camarillo Garden Tour with Suzanne, but as it turned out, I greatly enjoyed it. We left at noon, drove to Camarillo and started at the f...