Thursday, December 12, 2019

Lunch With C.B.

Met Carolyn B. for lunch at the Busy Bee Luncheonette (her suggestion) on Main Street. This is a neat place, very much nineteen fifties in decor and mood, with Elvis and others of the era singing in the background. In keeping with the venue, I had a huge, greasy cheeseburger with jumbo fries and a big Blue Moon, which, happy day, they have on tap. It was wonderful, and filled me up enough for dinner. I got a kick out of this poster:

Carolyn and I had a good talk. Her daughter, Billie (yes, that's her name) wants to go to art school in San Francisco or elsewhere. I mentioned the Savannah College of Art & Design, where my daughter-in-law, Paula, got her graduate degree and, of course, Parsons in NYC.
We stayed for two hours, discussing mostly family--Carolyn doesn't see many of her siblings--and had an enjoyable time. We then parted and I walked to the library to pick up a bio of Edward Bernays, the originator, it seems, of modern advertising and propaganda, may he rot in hell.
Bused home and got in about 5:00. I lit my decorations (some candle, some battery) and rang Suzanne's bell to invite her to view them. I first did the same for hers--heavy on the angels and very pretty. She came over and admired mine after and we talked for a bit.
I received two packages, one from Land's End and the other from Tokyo. Mike said he's sending something he wants me to distribute to his stateside sibs, but it hasn't come yet. This is for before Christmas, h said.
Also got a card from the Tokyo trio, which I'll open on my birthday. I'm getting frazzled about what to get them and their families and how I can get it to them before Christmas, especially as so much travel is going on.

No comments:

Thursday

Up and at 'em after a pretty good sleep. Didn't do a whole lot in the morning besides making my lunch. Left about 10:30 to meet Dian...