Friday, December 13, 2019

Camarillo And Birthday

I was out front waiting for the Access Van at 10:45. It didn't come immediately, but no prob, as it was a beautiful day--sunny and fairly warm.
To get to Camarillo where the program was, the van dropped me at a stop there, then another picked me up and took me to a complex called "the Health District." This is a very attractive, quite new facility and someone in the office walked me to the classroom.
The program was actually for caregivers of those with Alzheimer's and, in fact, there were only two other people there: Ed, who's caregiver for his very far-advanced wife and Joan, who's caregiver for her husband, who isn't.
It didn't really tell me a whole bunch new, but was useful, I think. However, it started at 12:30 and lasted until 4:30. There was a short break in the middle, but I guess it was assumed participants would have had lunch. Of course, I hadn't since I left so early, but it didn't really bother me.
Noreen called me and left a message about an "ethical problem," for which she wanted my advice, a first for me. I'm hardly the person to go to for a question of morals, but I called her back. It seems she had ordered a fruitcake on-line for a friend of hers and somehow, accidentally, was going to be sent two, but they were going to charge her for only one and should she cancel, although she probably had ordered it for herself in August and had forgotten about it...
Good grief! I said I couldn't advise her, but whatever she did, she shouldn't agonize over it. I think the dilemma was that she'd get two cakes, but only pay for one. So do it. Or don't do it. I knew she was  insecure, but this seemed extreme.
Niece Carolyn called and said that Betty, Carolyn, Dana, Finn, Claire, Steve, Robyn, and Dexter could come to Ventura (along with Ellen, of course, and Greg if he doesn't have to work) for our birthday on the 21st. Great news and I suggested they come to my place. If it's okay with the L.A.contingent, they will. Said I'd have to check with Ellen, too.  but I thought she'd be happy with that arrangement.  She called later to say it was fine with her ("now I won't have to clean the house"--a girl after my own heart!).  I texted Carolyn not to bring anything to drink, as I have plenty of beer, wine, soda, and iced tea. Yay--that will be such fun!
Betty called and we talked. Unfortunately, she hasn't found her necklace. Now, it seems, the companion she wanted me to meet won't be there on Tuesday, when I was planning to visit. Since I'll see her on Saturday and I'd still like to go to the surprise party in Santa Paula that evening, I begged off.
I also begged off attending T.O.P.S. this morning. I'm just so frazzled with Christmas coming and things having to be bought and sent overseas and so on, that I know it would drive me crazy to sit there and listen to nothingness for an hour and a half. I have a long list of what I want to buy and do today and I want to clear the decks and do it.

No comments:

Monday

Set off for the mall and Target at 10:30. I got some staples (plant milk, blueberries, grapefruit, etc.), but decided to hold off buying the...