Monday, December 16, 2019

Dudley House Christmas Boutique

Took the 6 bus and got to Dudley House about a half-hour early. That was okay, because I had time to change my shoes (sneakers to walk and what we called ballerina slippers for later). I left my coat and sneaks downstairs, chatted with Dianna--who's one of the most valuable volunteers and a very nice person to boot--then took my post at the front door as greeter. Before I did, though, I saw a darling little "Santa pot," with succulents in it, and had to buy it. I'm proud of the fact I didn't buy anything else. I had fun greeting and chatting with the visitors to the boutique.  It was a nice, sunny day, but pretty chilly--in the high fifties, which is cool for here--and most of the time, I was in the shady part of the porch.
I saw Shari downstairs and gave her a thirty-two-year old note. The background: I had picked up at a thrift store a box of Dudley House cards, one already used, but not mailed. It was dated 1987 and, judging by what was written, accompanied a  musical score, commenting and explaining the various notations. Clearly, it was to a relative and friend. Since she and her husband, Ken, have been the movers and shakers at Dudley for forty-some years, I thought they might get a kick out of it.
Lorraine relieved me at noon and shortly after, Ellen came. She and I covered the whole house--downstairs, upstairs, and basement--and she bought some ornaments and a tree-topper. We then went to my house, I changed, we had lunch and some fun talk, then packed up her car with my items to donate. Drove to the Goodwill to drop them off, then swung around to Wal-Mart.
El bought a number of things, but I just got a large desk calendar. After we said goodbye, I walked over to Von's for this and that. While I was there, Betty called and we had a long, convoluted, wearisome talk.  She said she had called to buy something on-line and blah, blah, blah, "I gave her my pin number." WHAT? You never give out your pin number! I guess Carolyn is taking care of this, the poor girl. Well, I'll see them both, with their families, when they come on Saturday for our birthday.
Must get some wash done today and pick up some more Christmas gifts.
P.S. Good grief--when I got up just now at 5:30, it was 47 degrees! This is unacceptable!

No comments:

Friday

Note: I cannot understand this: I modified this, then published and got the message it would revert to a publishing date of April 26th. Why ...