Sunday, June 09, 2019

Party!

Got up at 5:30, although I had meant to sleep later. After the usual morning routine, I completed my little theatre resume booklet; I could have made it a lot longer, but I didn't want to overdo it.
Drove to the store for a birthday card for DIL in Tokyo, then to the bank for cash. I just thought it would be handy, although now  I hardly ever use it, funnily enough.
Home and straightened up a little, then surveyed my wardrobe. I finally decided on black and white for the party, with the necklace Susan G. had given me for my birthday years ago.
Girl Dana and Tom ("Murph") picked me up about 4:00 and we drove the 50 minutes or so to Santa Barbara, chatting away. They live up in the Ventura hills, both retired although only in their late fifties, he was a meteorologist, she in human resources.
The party was great fun. Besides many of Finn's (the grads) and Claire's (almost-teens) friends, there were lots of interesting people (mostly 40s to 60s, a few older), many of whom I had met before.  As far as I could see, the majority are conventional democrats, horrified by Trump, but somehow convinced that the dems are different. We avoided politics for the most part, though.
I especially enjoyed talking with Linda and Alan. Alan is Australian and they're about to go on a 25-day trip to Christchurch, along with two sons, their wives, and five grandchildren. Alan acts in little theatre and we had a great time discussing our experiences. He's been in several of the productions I have, including Arsenic And Old Lace and Steel Magnolias, mostly in small roles.
Linda's story is tragic: One of her two sons, now 52, is incarcerated for life for murder. He has a condition diagnosed as a combination of schizophrenia and bi-polar syndrome, killed his cousin, and should probably be in a mental hospital instead of prison. However, thanks to our cruel, twisted, heartless society and the black-hearted bastards who run it, he'll be where he is for  good, I guess. Linda and I disagreed to some extent on Julian Assange, but at least, she was knowledgeable enough to discuss his case.
I talked with a number of other guests, including the honoree's tennis coach, who is active in The Liver Society. Why? Because he had a very serious liver infection, got a transplant four years ago, and is cured. He mentioned that the liver--yours or someone else'es after a transplant-- regenerates itself, something I hadn't known.
There was lots of great food, of course, plus coolers full of beer, wine, soda, water, and for all I know, exotic drinks from Fuji. We were there about three hours, said goodbye, and Girl Dana and Murph drove me home. After parking at the entrance, they insisted on walking me to my door--not necessary, but nice of them.
Now to prepare for the audition and tomorrow--New Mexico!
   

No comments:

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...