Sunday, June 23, 2019

Back With My Tribe

Got up groggily, but was revived to some semblance of normalcy by my best friend, good ol' strong and hot coffee. Showered and washed my hair, said goodbye to my dear boy about 9:00, then got ready for our first rehearsal with Fractured Actors.
It was held with the players seated in the round and we went through every play; there are four of them and about thirty people in the overall cast, some with more than one part. I have only one, but it's longer--and, I think, requires more subtlety--than the others for which I read.
It was so, so good to be back with theatre folk! That may seem silly and grandiose, but this is my tribe and I've missed it.  All of  us except one young woman have appeared on stage in various productions, the majority in California. I met and enjoyed chatting to several others, including Anthony, who acts mostly in L.A., has an agent, and is pursuing a full-time acting career. He's a gem and what fun to talk to him.
I was greeted with such friendliness and welcome cheer, I was delighted.  The majority of the players are young (say, under 40), some up to 60 or so, and only two that I could see might be close to my age and I like that. As much as I enjoy my Acting for Amateurs older people, it's more interesting and stimulating to be with a range of ages.
We sat in a circle and each person read his or her part until we had performed all four pieces. Most were very, very good, including Hunter, the son of Jeff and Shannon, the directors and playwrights. The kid can't be more than ten or eleven, but hoo-boy, he's a damn good actor already.
We met from ten until twelve and Jeff (his last name is "Ham," incredibly enough) announced rehearsals for the individual plays; we'll meet for mine, Welcome Home, on Monday, I think he said, but he'll send out an e-mail and a directory of all players shortly.
Went from there to WinCo to stock up on veggies and fruit, then to BOA to get quarters for the washer and dryer. Home for lunch, then took two loads to the laundry place. Retrieved them, folded, put away, and by that time, it was almost 6:00. I had a good stir-fry for dinner, which I enjoyed after so many day sort of just grabbing a bite--not always healthy--here and there.
Here's a sign I saw in Ojai yesterday and oh, yes, it spoke to me:
I took note and it feels fabulous.


No comments:

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...