Friday, December 01, 2017

Humor & Drama Toastmasters

After Kimball, I got a fair amount accomplished: Wrote an intro for When Cooks Confer and a short lead-in for the monologue I gave Fern. I called it "Life in Conversation," but later changed it to "A Life On The Phone." I wasn't happy with either, but Fern wanted some kind of intro. I told her she'll develop it as she goes on.
I had forgotten all about bringing a snack for Toastmasters, and didn't feel like going to all the trouble of cranberry meatballs. Didn't want to bring cheese or crackers or anything like that, either, as I'd have to take what wasn't eaten home and I like it too much. Finally hit on tomatoes. I found a mix of red, yellow, and brown cherry tomatoes at WinCo.  I cut them, added fresh parsley, then dressed them with olive oil and vinegar. I regularly put this on my salad instead of plain tomatoes, so I'll take home the leftovers.
I sent my nieces copies of my train reservations and got some other computer work done. I texted Ellen to the effect I don't want to buy a laptop right now. I just feel too rushed and now that my desk top seems no longer to be acting up, I'll stay with that. I did rev up my tablet, but I'm having difficulty getting into this and that; it seems very different from this.
Impulsively, I stopped at Great Cuts before I went home and had my hair cut. Looks okay, I guess, but nothing special.
Got to the Lexington before 6:30 and Fern came shortly after. We went over the play once, I reminded her of a few things, then it was time for the meeting. It went over big--everybody loved it and they laughed a lot. Fern is really pretty good--not only has a good sense of timing, but takes direction well.
Judi, the president, did a piece on her misadventures in cooking when she was a newlywed--very predictable, I'm afraid (underdone company roast, giblets left in turkey, etc.) and her delivery is poor. Raul spoke on growing up in his hometown in Mexico and was much more engaging.  The toastmistress of the evening, whose name I can't remember (she was born in France and I like her a lot) "ran things," more or less.
This is a very casual--to a fault--outfit and last night, only eight people were there. However, it was fun and I like it, maybe better than the other one, "Pointsettia," which is more structured.  I'll deliver my seven- to eight-minute "icebreaker" there on Monday.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...